real time web analytics
Information - - Nantlle trackway (Dorothea tunnel) February 2024. | Underground Sites | Page 2 | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Information - Nantlle trackway (Dorothea tunnel) February 2024.

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

wormster

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
I question under who's authority this survey has been done - is it an official sanctioned survey by CDAW or similar organization, if not then leave well alone as others have said restricted access will only bring out the vandalism

Meso

Banned
Banned
That was on me sorry, I misunderstood the post and I apologise.

Even then though, sealing it off would just encourage people to check it out from what I’ve seen, I’ve seen tunnels or doorways smashed open just to get inside, you can’t keep people out, just try and divert

If they put signs saying ‘dangerous structure’ or ‘unstable’ or something along those lines, that’s probably the best you could do as it doesn’t play with people’s curiosity, and lets them know it’s open, but it’s not safe either. Putting fences up or sealing it off just encourages people to check it out more

I’ve done all sorts of wacky stuff and even then, if something looks unstable or has warning signs around it, I’ll avoid it and so do most people I know who like to explore
No that's OK. I had to reply because the anger just snowballs; you know how it goes. I agree it's typically pointless and, yes, counterproductive to block places. I think a simple sign would be a good start, if only to make people think twice about the risk they are about to accept. Explorers, well, we've got a different take on risk!

Meso

Banned
Banned
What the hell are you on about ! Are you talking about the same place you have posted photos of ?? Seriously ?!?!

I think you should leave the thing alone and not go back yourself ! People like you ruin our heritage! Honest just leave it the F**k alone
Which is all a bit odd, because I spend my life recording Welsh heritage, as a Welsh person, speaking Welsh. How about we turn to my heritage and converse in my area's language? No? Nie that you give the pastime a good image.

tigger

mog
Regular User
Not surprised this ended up with a ban.

I'm typing this whilst sitting in an open field. No farm animals and the few trees a decent distance away in case there is any lightning. Think I sould be safe as the rabbits seem to be ignoring me too..

For anyone actually interested in the tunnel it was surveyed professionally a few years ago. It was constructed in several phases due to the expansion of waste tipping which eventyually covered the track route.
Far better structural condition than many structures that 28DL members visit and the overall view on the past two GAT surveys was that it is well preserved. I've not seen any significant evidence of recent movement.

For anyone else thinking of doing some 'volunteer' surveying: a bank card (don't vary in size like pencils!) or even a dedicated scale/colour card is more use than a pencil for scale ;)

A few grammes of plastic I always carry - only a couple of quid expense (bearing in mind the small plastic cards are thick enough to scrape light ice of the car window, open a yale lock etc so muti-purpose tools!)

scale.jpg

Though I don't carry ranging poles when out for a walk I do generally have a foldable 2m ruler (sneaked into the odd post on here I think)

Down and beyond

The true source of englands wealth is coal
Regular User
Not surprised this ended up with a ban.

I'm typing this whilst sitting in an open field. No farm animals and the few trees a decent distance away in case there is any lightning. Think I sould be safe as the rabbits seem to be ignoring me too..

For anyone actually interested in the tunnel it was surveyed professionally a few years ago. It was constructed in several phases due to the expansion of waste tipping which eventyually covered the track route.
Far better structural condition than many structures that 28DL members visit and the overall view on the past two GAT surveys was that it is well preserved. I've not seen any significant evidence of recent movement.

For anyone else thinking of doing some 'volunteer' surveying: a bank card (don't vary in size like pencils!) or even a dedicated scale/colour card is more use than a pencil for scale ;)

A few grammes of plastic I always carry - only a couple of quid expense (bearing in mind the small plastic cards are thick enough to scrape light ice of the car window, open a yale lock etc so muti-purpose tools!)

scale.jpg

Though I don't carry ranging poles when out for a walk I do generally have a foldable 2m ruler (sneaked into the odd post on here I think)
I noted the pencil also . Nothing special myself I can see with the drill holes , I am no expert though, possibly a wooden plug for metal spikes hanging a hose ?? . A ruler like that is very good for items of significant interest.