real time web analytics
Report - - Napsbury Asylum - Hertfordshire - August 2012 | Asylums and Hospitals | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Napsbury Asylum - Hertfordshire - August 2012

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

soundwave

28DL Member
28DL Member
An after work o'clock solo explore. I had the place to my self for only 40mins before three guys showed up. Doing a bat survey! After a bit of chat with them, I find out they are doing it as part of an ecological survey. They said they where there a week ago looking for reptiles.

History shamelessly stolen from Napsbury Asylum - Hertfordshire June 2010

The Middlesex County Asylum was founded in 1898 with the hospital designed in a country estate style by architect Rowland Plumbe in 1900, who also rebuilt, to his designs, the Royal London Hospital, Whitechapel in 1897.
The hospital was designed for 1,205 residents, and the grounds were designed by William Goldring.
Napsbury opened, following the construction of the numerous buildings and extensive grounds on June 3, in 1905. According to Middlesex County Record, the initial cost, including land and equipment, was £545,000, or £473 per bed. In 1908 Plumbe designed an extension to accommodate a further 600 patients.
During the First World War, Napsbury was used for and known as the County of Middlesex War Hospital, which tended for soldiers wounded at the Front.Following this, in the late 1920s a nurses home was also added to the site, further adding to the variety of different buildings and facilities at the site.
Although Napsbury suffered some bomb damaged in the Blitz, it was in continuous use as a hospital until its closure in 1998. Due to its largely untouched parkland, Napsbury was listed by English Heritage as a Grade II Historic Park and Garden in 2001.

All buildings were demolished/converted 2001-3 but the nurses accommodation at the back remains mid conversion

As detailed in that report someone decided to play with matches shortly after the report in 2010, the core of the build appears fine, as it's all reinforced concrete, but the roof however is a mess. I decided it was best to not go and play up there! A nice explore if you have a spare hour.

IMG_1724.jpg

IMG_1727.jpg

IMG_1728.jpg

Not the best graf, but at least they tried

IMG_1734.jpg

IMG_1733.jpg

IMG_1747.jpg

Thanks for looking

Soundwave

Who has read this thread (Total: 1) View details