real time web analytics
Report - - National Gallery / National Portrait Gallery- London - October 2015 | High Stuff | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - National Gallery / National Portrait Gallery- London - October 2015

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Gabe

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
The National Gallery / National Portrait Gallery

26326416381_98a8fa2f62_b.jpg

Doesn't really need much of an introduction, its a fairly famous British institution with some big expensive paintings and such, apparently loads of people go there, probably more than Legoland or Madame Tussauds but that might not be true, i dunno. Its only really one building but its all sorta joined together in a higgidly piggidly way overlooking the best bus stop in London (Trafalgar Sq) and the famous war fella missing some bones on a big pole in the middle.

I had actually forgot this one happened till it was mentioned by Monkey with his shenanigans at the British Museum report. I met up with Oli late one night to try a few little bits and this was one of them. It doesn't give the best views as its hardly very high, but the roof is such a mess and not designed to be climbed on, there is no real access anywhere so we had to invent our way around the roof, climbing pipes, climbing cables and shimmying along anything we could find to risk the slippery slope down to some broken legs. I love this sort of roof, the one where you actually have to clamber about instead of stairs all the way to a flat roof. Reminded me quite a bit of City Hall's messy roof.

It's also surprising how many cameras, pir's and beam sensors there are up there, after lots of slithering around like a wet salmon avoiding all this, eventually the fun had to end and all of a sudden a bunch of happy green lights turned into red blinking lights and it was time to run across the front of the building past a bunch more angry red flashing lights to get down and out before anyone angry turned up. Urban playground roof.

26326567701_e4c42f51bc_b.jpg

26326552681_27a421bb10_b.jpg

26119865920_16fff7497a_b.jpg

25789972123_c79c1526e6_b.jpg

25789932763_bc3531ac78_b.jpg

25787832004_04a24d38ee_b.jpg

26119796910_b0931d9653_b.jpg

Gumbo pot.

tweek

SNC/SWC
Regular User
There is no real access anywhere so we had to invent our way around the roof, climbing pipes, climbing cables and shimmying along anything we could find to risk the slippery slope down to some broken legs. I love this sort of roof, the one where you actually have to clamber about instead of stairs all the way to a flat roof.

This, this and some more this.

Monkey

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Nice nice, this just gave me an idea for some other bits we should check.

This, this and some more this.

Agree with this also, rooftopping seems to be all about height. But the smaller and challenging roofs can be so much more fun.

The_Raw

Staff member
Bang tidy, looks ace up there. The Canadian embassy wasn't quite as much fun :rolleyes: