real time web analytics
Report - - National Union of Mineworkers building, Sheffield - September '16 | High Stuff | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - National Union of Mineworkers building, Sheffield - September '16

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Kaplan

Procrastinator
28DL Full Member

This was mine and jazzywheelz's second time out re-aquainting ourselves with the city after we'd decided to end our extended hiatus.
The first was more or less full of fail, this one had been marginally better - we'd at least managed a bit of sneaking around where we weren't supposed to be - but we still hadn't had any proper success.

The former NUM building hadn't even been on our radar but as we were walking past we were more or less invited in; we literally didn't have to try.

The interior has been completely stripped of anything worth seeing - or so we thought (some post-explore-research by jazzywheelz found that there is a huge Italian marble frieze depicting mine workers, as well as a tiled area of floor overlooking Barker's Pool which was part of Arthur Scargill's office and served as his "lookout". To be fair though, the frieze was hidden behind scaffolding and Scargill's lookout was literally just a small area of tiles that remained in the corner of an otherwise empty floor, so we didn't stop to take photos; something we both regret and which might necessitate a revisit!).

30191490785_78683a288d_b.jpg

30106834331_0b45fb3e87_b.jpg

Sorry jw, this was the only shot of the both of us where we're both sat still

29562856683_618cd94aed_b.jpg

The back of the building gives some interesting views towards the former BT Telephone House, Grosvenor Hotel, and further up over West Street and towards the Royal Hallamshire hospital.

30107038561_a599edde53_b.jpg

29896066590_e8d18b2ebe_b.jpg

30193249985_81a05b533e_b.jpg

The front entrance has a great smoked-glass top over the vestibule and can hold the weight of a human man...

30191723635_070c82b840_b.jpg

We sat for a while taking in our first rooftop in far too long. It didn't offer the best views we've had over Sheffield, but from where we were we could see loads of rooftops we'd conquered in the past, like the Town Hall Clock Tower and St Paul's, inspiring us to get back out there and see what we could find. Hopefully much more to come in future!

ACID- REFLUX

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
"The Boys are back in Town" :thumb (City)

Welcome back lads, always nice to see your work. Been a long time since i was on those rooftops with er ???? Man with no 28 name ;)

Wouldn"t have recognised JW without his Cap :D

ACID- REFLUX

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Looks like his crowdfunding never happened then .

I think maybe that "ARk" sank as well ;)

Never liked Hoodies and I always remembered my name so I didn't order one. Although in hindsight it would aid the services if they needed to I'D a body :D

WildBoyz

Is this the future?
28DL Full Member
Nice, always thought about having a look in here. Never though it was worth it. Your shots from the roof are really good though, kind of wish I'd given it a go now.