real time web analytics
Report - - New Empire Theatre / ABC Cinema - Southend-on-Sea, Essex - October 2014 | Theatres and Cinemas | Page 2 | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - New Empire Theatre / ABC Cinema - Southend-on-Sea, Essex - October 2014

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

slayaaaa

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Nice one mate! Those tunnels, are what I went into, what were they used for?

Southendboy

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Thank you for the interest.

The Theatre was built in 1896, or should I say rebuilt in 1896 after a fire in what was the Alexandra Hall. It was built by Fred Marlow.

The tunnels were the halls to the front stalls. There were one either side under the auditorium. The one you went into was the right hand hall and the one on the left was where the bar is now. It followed where the little alcoves are. The area under the foyer leading to the tunnels was a buffet area used in the early days of the theatre. They closed it of in 1917. It was however used as an air raid shelter during the first world war. If you look very close as you go into the area at the bottom of the stairs as you go out of the main cellar, the writing on the wall says 'wait for the all clear before leaving'

On the main stage you wiould have seen all the metalwork. That was the flying system that I installed. We pulled it out of the Royal Academy of Dramatic Arts.

In the centre of the auditorium ceiling hangs the follow spot box that I built.

The sad thing is that we had totally re-decorated the main foyer, installed the new box office counter and new lighting only two weeks before we were thrown out.

It is the saddest thing to see it now in that state, but we have moved to Wales and are now nearing the end converting a once cinema/bingo hall into the same type of venue.

If you would like more info, please visit our website at www.savoytheatre.net

There, you can also access our old website for the Empire Theatre. You will find pictures and lots of history about the building.

Regards.

Daniel.

Berserker

Back to it...
28DL Full Member
This looks like a fun little explore, defo gonna have to check this one out at some point :)

NPyke

28DL Member
28DL Member
Had a little look last night, seems the obvious entrance is still very obvious! Dubious whether any one has moved in yet.. Will have to find out on the weekend!