real time web analytics
Report - - New Find Ramsbottom ARS July 2016 | Underground Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - New Find Ramsbottom ARS July 2016

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Urban_XCJ

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
So Saturday got talking to a friend about ramsbottom and its history and he mentioned an air raid shelter they used to play in as kids 20 year ago. So he took me for a walk and discovered an opening just off a main road and to our amazement it was still there.

So tonight I told @TeamCF and decided to have a nip round and see what it was about.

History

World War One Zeppelin Attacks

iJeEVTL.jpg

Almost 100 years ago, a Zeppelin flew from Germany and bombed Lancashire villages and towns! One night in September 1916 a zeppelin flew over Todmordon, Bacup, Rawtenstall, Ramsbottom, Tottington, Bolton and Blackburn. Dropping bombs and incendiaries as it went along. In April 1918 a second zeppelin dropped bombs on Wigan and Radcliffe.
XaQO4Y7.jpg

The 1916 attack must have really scared local people who felt they were so far from the war. A huge airship (179 metres long) flying over their houses at night - dropping bombs, including incendiaries, manned by soldiers armed with machine guns!

The attack in 1916 damaged the East Lancs railway at Irwell Vale, before dropping five bombs in Holcombe Village. There were no casualties. It dropped a couple of bombs in Ramsbottom before passing over Holcombe Brook and Greenmount. An incendiary bomb damaged a cottage in Greenmount Village. The zeppelin then headed for Bolton where it dropped further bombs and incendiaries, most of which did little damage. Until it reached the town centre and five bombs killing thirteen people and seriously injuring nine more - worst hit was Kirk Street. Further bombs near the Town Hall did little damage. The airship passed over Blackburn and then headed for the coast passing near Whitby (dropping only one last bomb on the way).

Here is what we found in Ramsbottom

Concrete and a few slabs lightly soiled
lqWKx5T.jpg

Popped my phone in for a better look due to angle
9QvKOUf.jpg

We were in in minutes, only a small bunker however there was a bricked up doorway leading under the main road maybe to a building. might need a return trip to find where it leads.

WoU3FPh.jpg

wpAh3ls.jpg

TeurWLJ.jpg

Don't think this has popped up anywhere in the history of the town either a few friends spent a while searching online to no avail too.

Urban_XCJ

Urban_XCJ

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Nice find, looks like a Stanton shelter if im not mistaken.

Im new to this but after a quick google yes it does, interesting to see them on google images not just from inside one.

Interesting find, always good to see an ARS no matter how small :thumb

Cheers Ojay, I believe it to go further however may need to take some bricks out of the blocked up part to find more. Its saod to have a bigger section of rooms. Should be interesting.

Nice history, and a good little find right there.

Thanks WildBoyz. I was amazed as there is nothing about this little find anywhere. Made up.

jx03el

28DL Member
28DL Member
Nice one mate. Just been down there myself but you must have covered the entrance up well? Dropped you a PM.

Urban_XCJ

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Nice one mate. Just been down there myself but you must have covered the entrance up well? Dropped you a PM.

Had to be done spent a lot of time uncovering it and getting access due to it being very well sealed up and concreted shut. I want to get thru the wall inside before its been noticee that someone has gained entry again. My plan was to take a few brick courses down to see where it leads before its lost to us all. Hence not giving the location away as yet.

Lavino

28DL Full Member
This looks interesting haven't seen this one pop up before.has anyone else been to find it yet.

The_Mole

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Did you manage t get through the wall, chap? I would be surprised if there was anything behind there, but very interested to see!

Bolts

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Can someone check this for local missing lad ? Or tell us were exactly this is.
Very unlikely to be down here as the lads who found it closed it all up behind them. Best of luck mate, hope he's found safe & well