real time web analytics
Report - - New Palace Theatre / Dance Academy, Plymouth - April 2019 | Theatres and Cinemas | Page 2 | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - New Palace Theatre / Dance Academy, Plymouth - April 2019

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Smalltownboys

28DL Member
28DL Member
I am intrigued by the “lighthouse” on the roof. It is very similar to the one at Kings Cross (London) the purpose of which is still not fully established. Has anyone managed to get in to this structure and taken any pictures? Thanks for the link to the vice article, interesting read.

flyman

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
I am intrigued by the “lighthouse” on the roof. It is very similar to the one at Kings Cross (London) the purpose of which is still not fully established. Has anyone managed to get in to this structure and taken any pictures? Thanks for the link to the vice article, interesting read.
The access hatch is in one of the rooms in the attic. There is nothing inside, other than the timber frame and some recent steel bars holding it together. I have heard there was once a light inside to advertise the theatre to ships arriving in nearby Millbay Docks. I did have a photo looking up inside but I can't find it. I may have deleted it because the focus wasn't brilliant.

Smalltownboys

28DL Member
28DL Member
The access hatch is in one of the rooms in the attic. There is nothing inside, other than the timber frame and some recent steel bars holding it together. I have heard there was once a light inside to advertise the theatre to ships arriving in nearby Millbay Docks. I did have a photo looking up inside but I can't find it. I may have deleted it because the focus wasn't brilliant.

Thank you. The”advertising” function seems the only plausible use and a “lighthouse” design appropriate for Plymouth.......but not Kings Cross. I will keep searching!

tumbles

Drama Queen
Staff member
It's quite an interesting backstory though, when you look into it.

I was at Plymouth Uni start of the millennium and the amount of club owners/mangers on Union Street who got sent down was ridiculous. There was a massive one just after I graduated that involved serious crime squad.

Dance Academy was the fucking daddy back in the day though.

BrightonHipster

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Brilliant report and photos. I thoroughly recommend reading that Vice article on the history too, such a shocking case of misjustice and perversion of the law by public prosecutors, especially the decision to lock up the owner for years while the actual dealers walk the streets again.

Exploring with Andy

Behind Closed Doors
Staff member
Brilliant report and photos. I thoroughly recommend reading that Vice article on the history too, such a shocking case of misjustice and perversion of the law by public prosecutors, especially the decision to lock up the owner for years while the actual dealers walk the streets again.
Indeed, I had a read of that while researching this place. Quite a fascinating read.

Scoobysrt

Teim scoobs
28DL Full Member
Breath taking and amazing photos.
I had a chance to go when open but I was late due to work and the mini bus went without me. I always regretted it.

Who has read this thread (Total: 349) View details