real time web analytics
Report - - Newsome Mill, Huddersfield - (Late August 2015) | Industrial Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Newsome Mill, Huddersfield - (Late August 2015)

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

ZoroLime

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Ok so there was a tonne of reports on this place in short succession in 2012 until they just stopped all together, so me @TechyTadpole, @alex707 and a non member decided to go investigate :thumb.

Here is a little bit of info i sourced from 'The Newsome Mill campaign':

Newsome Mills sits at the heart of Newsome – both geographically and historically. The mill was founded by John Taylor in 1827 and was a working woolen textile mill right up until 1983. During the 156 years of its operation, the mill made a significant contribution to Newsome. The village has grown around the mill, which was the main local employer for a long time. Many families who live in Newsome today have a direct relationship to the building. The main building on the site is an impressive four-storey mill. This is the most prominent building in Newsome and is also a well-known Huddersfield landmark. It can be seen clearly from Huddersfield town centre and the surrounding district. This building was constructed in the 1880s, and replaced an earlier mill building that was lost to fire in 1872. The mill is most familiarly associated with the firm of Taylor & Littlewood, formed in 1873 when Ephraim Beaumont Taylor went into partnership with Joshua Littlewood. Under their management, Newsome Mills developed into a “Splendid block of buildings, mills and weaving sheds of great extent and admirable arrangement.”* All cloth manufacturing processes were carried out on the site – starting with raw wool and ending with the production of fine worsteds. There were 200 looms and 600 employees making trousers, coats and woolen goods. The collection of buildings which remains today gives a good flavour of this range of activity, including not only the main four-storey mill, but also weaving sheds, administrative buildings, ancilliary structures and dwellings. When the mill celebrated its 150th anniversary in 1977, it was the oldest privately owned fine worsted manufacturing company in Huddersfield with its own weaving and spinning plants. Taylor & Littlewood’s order books were still full in 1978.

Our visit:

When we arrived at the site we quickly realised why it had been so long since a report had last been put up as the site is completely closed off by a spiky metal gate. There was evidence of people attempting to get in, in the past but nothing that any of us deemed safe so as we was about to give up and leave we accidentally found a way in by a series of unplanned events thanks to techytadpole :Not Worthy. When we entered we decided to clear the building before taking any pictures to make sure we were alone working our way up to the clock tower on,y to find we could go no further as some D*** ed has completely destroyed the awesome spiral stair case!!!:mad: (photo below). I don't know if this was done to prevent people from accessing to tower by the owners or just by vandals as their were traces of saw blades on the ground. I did attempt to climb the broken stair case but just found i would probably do more bad than good so left it alone and moved on to take my pictures. So sorry for the lack of idyllic views of Huddersfield and clock tower in general but still an ok explore just not worth the let down.

Anyway on with some unedited shots (excluding a watermark i added):

Image00001.jpg

Image00002.jpg

Image00003.jpg

Image00004.jpg

Image00005.jpg

Image00006.jpg

Image00007.jpg

Image00008.jpg

Image00009.jpg

Image00010.jpg

Image00011.jpg