real time web analytics
Nice 'n' Steady - Sheffield - April/October 2022 | UK Draining Forum | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Nice 'n' Steady - Sheffield - April/October 2022

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Parky

The Devil Is in the Details
Regular User
Nice 'n' Steady
This is probably my hardest drain to complete fully, due to its length of 2 miles long. This is also my best accomplishment in my drain exploring career as it has been a YEAR trying to get this one completely done.
This report will contain a variety of photos as this is over multiple visits including a visit with @MartyZero on the 25th of October 2022 (1 year since I started trying to complete this drain in its entirety) so I have been given permission to use his photos in this report as well as mine.

Im going to start off with some general information on this drain. Its 2+ miles long and is the final section of the CarBrook before its confluence with the River Don in Brightside. This culvert starts in Darnall, runs under Prince Of Wales Road, past the CarBrook retail park (thats where CarBrook gets its name from!) and outfalls in the Brightside Weir after going under Gripple.
This drain is mostly concrete and brick however it has a variety of different interesting feature which you will see soon in this report. The name of this drain does sort of live up to its name except for its stoop that starts half way throught it and only gets worse as you get closer to the infall (more on that later)
Anyway, lets get onto the explore.

Starting at the outfall at Brightside weir where we have to wade in the river abit to get into the outfall itself. The outfall is slightly submerged in the water, so if it rains outside while youre underground, youre in trouble...
cxzczxzc.jpg

Getting inside..
P1020456.JPG

Then its 6ft concrete with a few chambers
P1020461.JPG

The roar of water was getting louder and louder...
P1020463.JPG

I could see something in the distance...
P1020464.JPG

It was quite a fast flowing tributary joining us!
P1020535.JPG

P1020534.JPG

P1020470.JPG

Round the corner, and then we have our first size reduction... this is quite a regular feature sadly!
P1020474.JPG

Then its slippy rcp again...
P1020476.JPG

The rcp makes a few turns and then...
Box...
P1020479.JPG

This chamber has mobile data in it so I can check the weather! This is also the room with the penstock valve!
IMG_1825.jpg(1).png

Keeping up progress we go through a short section of box until we meet our first split in the culvert!
P1020489.JPG

We follow up the larger diameter concrete pipe, which is used as overflow if the brook gets high enough as the old brick cannot contain the entirety of it in flood.
P1020492.JPG

However this is a stoop as you can see:
P1020493.JPG

We can hear another rush of water ahead...
Oh nice, a shower...
P1020496.JPG

Also a load of rags to hop over..
P1020519.JPG

P1020517.JPG

Managed to dodge past it okay without taking a shower (Marty didnt)
Carried on up until to pipes join to make one!
IMG_1800.jpg.png

Then off up some more rcp with a few interesting side pipes!
IMG_1791.jpg

As you can see, pretty featureless, I was up that pipe BTW (which was a CSO with a penstock over it further up the pipe) on lighting duties with toilet paper and shit floating around me! :lol
IMG_1786.jpg

Until we meet another split! Again going up the bigger diameter pipe!
IMG_1780.jpg

GOPR1729.JPG

P1020509.JPG

From here its stoopy the whole way to the outfall...
dassdadsdsa.jpg(1).png

A few interesting features until..
IMG_1764.jpg

Until we get to the worst part..
IMG_1753.jpg

GOPR1723.JPG.png

Luckily a short section, then straight back to rcp, still stoopy btw!
P1020507.JPG

Then we come to the pipes joining back into one, strangely on the wrong sides? They must pass over each other!

split.jpg.png

GOPR1716.JPG.png

A little more rcp until we go back to box with a little waterfall!
IMG_1727.jpg

Round a corner...
GOPR1708.JPG

GOPR1707.JPG

Until we finally made it to the infall!
unnamed.jpg.png

IMG_1707.jpg

After a long long day of being underground we then had to do the entire journey again as we had no way out at the infall (I knew this was going to happen anyway!)
Getting back to the outfall at Brightside weir I had never enjoyed fresh air and sunshine more in my life.
This year of continuous reckys and pushing on abit further every time has been all worth it, Im almost emotional that I dont need to step foot in here ever again
Thanks for reading this report, and thanks to @MartyZero for joining me on my final 1 year anniversary visit to get it completely done and put to bed.
Peace out.​
~The Rubber Johnny (Maestro):p

IMG_1800.jpg

Last edited:

jezzyboo

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Congratulations on getting to the end it's a long one ,I was sore next day when I did it lol . Some great pics well done

Calamity Jane

i see beauty in the unloved, places & things
Regular User
Really great work guys. The different building is excellence to see. Some of those photos would be great in the comp that is running :thumb

Parky

The Devil Is in the Details
Regular User
Really great work guys. The different building is excellence to see. Some of those photos would be great in the comp that is running :thumb
i have actually posted one from this a while ago! and thanks yeah took alot of effort this so thanks for supporting

Kursory1

28DL Member
28DL Member
Nice 'n' Steady
This is probably my hardest drain to complete fully, due to its length of 2 miles long. This is also my best accomplishment in my drain exploring career as it has been a YEAR trying to get this one completely done.
This report will contain a variety of photos as this is over multiple visits including a visit with @MartyZero on the 25th of October 2022 (1 year since I started trying to complete this drain in its entirety) so I have been given permission to use his photos in this report as well as mine.

Im going to start off with some general information on this drain. Its 2+ miles long and is the final section of the CarBrook before its confluence with the River Don in Brightside. This culvert starts in Darnall, runs under Prince Of Wales Road, past the CarBrook retail park (thats where CarBrook gets its name from!) and outfalls in the Brightside Weir after going under Gripple.
This drain is mostly concrete and brick however it has a variety of different interesting feature which you will see soon in this report. The name of this drain does sort of live up to its name except for its stoop that starts half way throught it and only gets worse as you get closer to the infall (more on that later)
Anyway, lets get onto the explore.

Starting at the outfall at Brightside weir where we have to wade in the river abit to get into the outfall itself. The outfall is slightly submerged in the water, so if it rains outside while youre underground, youre in trouble...
cxzczxzc.jpg

Getting inside..
P1020456.JPG

Then its 6ft concrete with a few chambers
P1020461.JPG

The roar of water was getting louder and louder...
P1020463.JPG

I could see something in the distance...
P1020464.JPG

It was quite a fast flowing tributary joining us!
P1020535.JPG

P1020534.JPG

P1020470.JPG

Round the corner, and then we have our first size reduction... this is quite a regular feature sadly!
P1020474.JPG

Then its slippy rcp again...
P1020476.JPG

The rcp makes a few turns and then...
Box...
P1020479.JPG

This chamber has mobile data in it so I can check the weather! This is also the room with the penstock valve!
IMG_1825.jpg(1).png

Keeping up progress we go through a short section of box until we meet our first split in the culvert!
P1020489.JPG

We follow up the larger diameter concrete pipe, which is used as overflow if the brook gets high enough as the old brick cannot contain the entirety of it in flood.
P1020492.JPG

However this is a stoop as you can see:
P1020493.JPG

We can hear another rush of water ahead...
Oh nice, a shower...
P1020496.JPG

Also a load of rags to hop over..
P1020519.JPG

P1020517.JPG

Managed to dodge past it okay without taking a shower (Marty didnt)
Carried on up until to pipes join to make one!
IMG_1800.jpg.png

Then off up some more rcp with a few interesting side pipes!
IMG_1791.jpg

As you can see, pretty featureless, I was up that pipe BTW (which was a CSO with a penstock over it further up the pipe) on lighting duties with toilet paper and shit floating around me! :lol
IMG_1786.jpg

Until we meet another split! Again going up the bigger diameter pipe!
IMG_1780.jpg

GOPR1729.JPG

P1020509.JPG

From here its stoopy the whole way to the outfall...
dassdadsdsa.jpg(1).png

A few interesting features until..
IMG_1764.jpg

Until we get to the worst part..
IMG_1753.jpg

GOPR1723.JPG.png

Luckily a short section, then straight back to rcp, still stoopy btw!
P1020507.JPG

Then we come to the pipes joining back into one, strangely on the wrong sides? They must pass over each other!

split.jpg.png

GOPR1716.JPG.png

A little more rcp until we go back to box with a little waterfall!
IMG_1727.jpg

Round a corner...
GOPR1708.JPG

GOPR1707.JPG

Until we finally made it to the infall!
unnamed.jpg.png

IMG_1707.jpg

After a long long day of being underground we then had to do the entire journey again as we had no way out at the outfall (I knew this was going to happen anyway!)
Getting back to the outfall at Brightside weir I had never enjoyed fresh air and sunshine more in my life.
This year of continuous reckys and pushing on abit further every time has been all worth it, Im almost emotional that I dont need to step foot in here ever again
Thanks for reading this report, and thanks to @MartyZero for joining me on my final 1 year anniversary visit to get it completely done and put to bed.
Peace out.​
~The Rubber Johnny (Maestro):p

IMG_1800.jpg
So cool! One time my friend tried to explore this with his grandmother and only he came out alive. Ferocious monsters live here. Be careful.-Grandma