real time web analytics
Norfolks Lost Railways..May-July 2017 | Other Sites | Page 2 | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Norfolks Lost Railways..May-July 2017

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Pandy6980

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
MELTON CONSTABLE TO YARMOUTH LINE

This line from the central hub at Melton Constable to the popular resort of Great Yarmouth Tthe line was owned by the midland and great northern railway,The line shut in 1959,and the former track serves as part of the weavers way cycle and walkway.

Just before you get to honing station there is a beautiful Victorian iron bridge. The bridge is listed.

A bit further up the track is honing station.there is still lots of remains here,the two platforms and a hut with a pump in it, The remains of the waiting room and the base of the station.

The wooden pump hut

The remains of the old waiting room.

All that remains of the old station is the fireplace.

At the back I made a nice discovery.it was the old cattle pen. A lot of stations had cattle pens to transport cattle from the local farms. This still had the original gates and flooring.

The walkway to herd the cattle from the farm to the pen.

This pillbox was a bit further down the line. This one has been decorated with flowers and stuff.

One of two bridges that went over the north walsham to dilham canal. The north walsham to Dilham canal was built close to this stretch of railway. The canal is the only one in Norfolk.the canal was built to service the various mills along its stretch, Being operated by wherries it opened in 1826, the canal was not a success , it laid derelict for years there is a trust that has started restoring it and some of the six locks.if anyone is interested on more info on the canal here is my friend Chris's very good and very informative video of the canal with one of the trusts members. I promise its not clickbait.

Briggate lock

Honing lock

The next station is felmingham station.it closed the same time as the rest. The inside is being used for storage.

And one last bridge to finish things off.

thanks for looking and hope it was not too long winded. i know its not epic stuff. but it shows there are still interesting things to find out there. Even if they are on a smaller scale.

Mikeymutt🐶

28DL Regular User
Regular User
It's astonishing the work you put into this mate, easily one of the most comprehensive and best reports I've seen. It's amazing how many old rail bits are still around. As always fantastic photos!
Thank you mate. I reckon with the amount around I could have spent many more hours doing this.

Lndnpdd

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Speaking as an engineer, some of those photos of the structures are truly erection inducing

Who has read this thread (Total: 438) View details