real time web analytics
Report - - Norfolks Wind Pumps 2..January/Febuary 2024 | Industrial Sites | Page 2 | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Norfolks Wind Pumps 2..January/Febuary 2024

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Lndnpdd

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Thank you. Yeah I know the metal bands were used in the kilns for expansion, especially when they are in use. The ones at Gisleham are real beasts and so nice. I just wondered if they were used for the same principle here with changes in temperature.
Similar principle, for the kiln, the bricks want to expand so the band stops the bricks from pulling apart at the mortar - similarly, for the wind pump, because it is tall and has a a massive wind load acting on the top, the structure wants to bend sideways, compressing the bricks on one side (which is fine) but pulling apart at the mortar those on the other side, which the band prevents.

Part of the appeal of this hobby for me is seeing the simplicity but also the effiicacy of proper old school egineering.

Mikeymutt🐶

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Interesting report. I really like the covering of the gears and wheels in detail. It looks like a windy place, my camera suffers wind blur sometimes. But I guess its the perfect spot for these mills due to that.
Only you could find a toilet on an explore like this :rofl
Yeah it's a very windy place indeed at the best of times, let alone on a day when wind is forecast. Ha ha I was so shocked finding a toilet, as it's the last thing I expected to find. I did smile a bit when I spotted it.

Mikeymutt🐶

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Similar principle, for the kiln, the bricks want to expand so the band stops the bricks from pulling apart at the mortar - similarly, for the wind pump, because it is tall and has a a massive wind load acting on the top, the structure wants to bend sideways, compressing the bricks on one side (which is fine) but pulling apart at the mortar those on the other side, which the band prevents.

Part of the appeal of this hobby for me is seeing the simplicity but also the effiicacy of proper old school egineering.
I thought it might be a similar principle. It's definatley a lot of weight on top though with the wind pushing it. I totally agree, it's great seeing the ingenious ways they did things, but in such a simple way.

dansgas1000

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Amazing stuff mate. Some of these I have never seen before, you've put so much effort into this and there's a lot of different variety. I always like seeing the cogs and wheels inside them.