real time web analytics
Report - - North Docks, Liverpool | Industrial Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - North Docks, Liverpool

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

snappel

BMW 4 LIFE
28DL Full Member
I've put together a collection of photos from the north docks - a few from today, and others from similar walks, explores and general meanders around the area. A lot of it needs more attention and a more thorough look, which hopefully I'll do in subsequent visits.

DSC_0047.jpg

Cranes on Canada Dock. These are still used for loading/unloading cargo ships. I wanted to climb up one of them, but it wasn't possible at the time.

DSC_0181.jpg

DSC_0182.jpg

The remaining building of the Sandon Motor & Engineering Company Ltd, on Regent Road. It's a big shame companies like this were forced into closure. The words 'Engine Works' can be seen above a bricked up entrance, where I'm guessing huge castings and engine parts would have entered and left the works.

DSC_0200.jpg

DSC_0206.jpg

DSC_0210.jpg

DSC_0214.jpg

Most recently the buildings were used by Merseyside Food Products, who built extensions onto the original building. Inside, the place nicely defines the word 'derelict'. One part has more rubbish and debris in it than I thought possible.

DSC_0192.jpg

DSC_0193.jpg

At the front is a small row of toilets and what looks like a reception office or orders desk. Thankfully, not all of the old General Electric Company fuseholders had been smashed.

DSC_0227.jpg

DSC_0178.jpg

Across the road, a large building that was once the United Mersey Supply Company is also derelict. The adjoining warehouse is half-demolished - surely this one will follow soon.

DSC_0167.jpg

DSC_0161.jpg

Dsc_0168.jpg

Further along, Huskisson Dock is still in use. Part of it is a timber storage yard, and the warehouses are used for various goods, including animal feeds. Interesting signs survive, such as the one for the Mersey Dock & Harbour Company Engineers Department. I'm unsure if this is still in use.

DSC_0136.jpg

DSC_0143.jpg

DSC_0144.jpg

DSC_0141.jpg

The later warehouses were constructed from steel-reinforced concrete. This one was interesting, having a 'Ladies' toilet - a reminder that women did work here too.

DSC_0149.jpg

Aside from visiting ships, the Mersey tugs are often berthed here when not in use around the other docks and on the river.

Dsc_0244.jpg

On many of the docks, old substations can be found rotting away. Often they still have isolators, breakers and fuse boxes still in situ. This one (on Bramley Moore Dock) also had warning signs, and some very dated health & safety information posters.

DSC_0099.jpg

DSC_0120.jpg

Despite the widespread decline of industry in Britain, there's still a lot of activity on Liverpool's north docks, most of which remain in use for scrap metal, grain, animal feeds or other goods.​