real time web analytics
Report - - North Sutor Coast Battery - Feb 2010 - Report | Military Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - North Sutor Coast Battery - Feb 2010 - Report

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

nugget44444

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Explored here with Wurzel and ZombieSazza weather was quite murky but still a good day out. Built in WW2 to protect the naval anchorage in the Cromarty Firth . It is situated on top of the cliffs and is very similar to the South Sutor Coast Battery which was built in WW1 but revamped for WW2. A minefield ran between them as this was a ideal place for enemy submarines to do some serious damage. Norwegian Personnel operated and trained here and it was armed with two 6" gun emplacements There is two searchlight emplacements at the bottom of cliff but I woosed out ha ha ( don't really do heights ) . Site has several buildings still in good condition and a lot of the original camo paint can still be seen along with some steel shutters.
Anyway here is the pics

Looking across to South Sutor Fort - One of the searchlight emplacements the ones at this Fort look the same

DSC_6115.jpg

Pretty sure they didn't have these to contend with

DSC_6128.jpg

Looking to the engine house

DSC_6142.jpg

DSC_6135.jpg

They fairly stripped the vents off and chucked them here

DSC_6131.jpg

Some nice brickwork ( does anyone know of any history about the bricks were they local made at sites or brought in or even built on site)

DSC_6151.jpg

Various Buildings that I am unsure of

DSC_6153.jpg

DSC_6242.jpg

Back of the furthest North Emplacement

DSC_6244.jpg

DSC_6251.jpg

Front View

DSC_6265.jpg

See the Camo paint

DSC_6256.jpg

The Observation Post

DSC_6210.jpg

DSC_6193.jpg

Dinner anyone is it a rabbit is it a bird - dunno but I bet it tastes like chicken

DSC_6197.jpg

Another building several layers high looks like it has collapsed a level as the very bottom floor had rangefinder points

DSC_6194.jpg

A underground Store

DSC_6179.jpg

DSC_6188.jpg

DSC_6180.jpg

The gun mount

DSC_6228.jpg

Under the more Southern Emplacment

DSC_6213.jpg

DSC_6297.jpg

DSC_6305.jpg

Going up