Web
Analytics
Report - - Odeon Cinema - Chorley - Sept 2020 | Theatres and Cinemas | Page 2 | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Odeon Cinema - Chorley - Sept 2020

crazyjonhere

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Fantastic finally someone got in the place As a ex Chorley lad i have a fond feeling for this place as my mother and father used to go to this cinema back in its odeon days The last film they saw at it was On Her Majesty's Secret Service in 1970 the last film to be shown in it, it closed later that year The council owned of the freehold of the building for years so were over the moon when it shut last year as they have been wanting to get rid of this place since they levelled the old Royal Oak Hotel building next door 3 years back. I heard the building was in a bit of a state but didn't think it was a bad as that. I did manage to see some photos taken by a local lad a few years back of the areas out of the view of the general public so did kind of know what it looked like in closed off areas but none of us knew that the place still had old seats from its cinema days hidden upstairs etc The box in the projector room where the bins were was for film reels storage back in the cinema days also the dimmer rack thing ran all the lighting for the auditorium one time those things are becoming rare now to see in buildings The stairs you came down towards the end of the vid was originally the stairs to the lounge another part that had been sealed off for years Just out of interest did the Rectifier room still have a Mercury Arc Rectifier in it by any chance and do you have a unedited version of this explore as would love to see more of this building as it looks like you spent a fair old bit of time in the place Once again great bit of footage So sad to hear its been demolished Chorley Council struck again sadly

crazyjonhere

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
It was sad to see this place to be honest it broke me hearing it had closed as it held a lot of memories for the family from its cinema days. It was no surprise that Chorley Council were going to let it get demolished as they had been waiting for a few years to get a chance sadly the pandemic sped it up. Over the years the building became a bit of money pit for Gala it was said. One of the staff said on the facebook group for the bingo we have had no heating in the building for nearly 2 years it was only sorted out when the refurbishment of the auditorium happened in 2018 Another one said certain areas of the building we are not aloud in anymore due to the state they are in. Great report glad someone got in there at last to document the place before it was demolished Great pictures Can i ask is there a unedited vid as it looks like you had good while in the place