real time web analytics
Report - - Old Warden Tunnel (July 2021) | Underground Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Old Warden Tunnel (July 2021)

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

G-Man

28DL Member
28DL Member
This is my first report, I've been caving and urban exploring for a good while now but never been too much into the photography side of things. However I'm in a new location now and without my old crew I'm limited to safer places. So Warden tunnel has been done to death but treating it as an experiment in low-light photography and writing up reports; dusted off my old GH2 and off I went:
Keen to secure its own route into the capital rather than relying on the London & Birmingham, the Midland Railway surveyed a route from Leicester to Hitchin in 1847. Although authorisation was granted, financial turbulence ensured no work began on it until 1852; the first passenger trains ran on 8th May 1857.

Passenger services had been withdrawn prior to the Beeching cull, the last train heading northwards from Hitchin in the evening of Saturday 30th December 1961. Goods services ended in 1964, with the line officially closing on 28th December. Before the track had been lifted, the tunnel enjoyed a belated moment in the limelight, starring in Those Magnificent Men in their Flying Machines. The short scene involved landing a plane on the roof of a train.

Nowadays the Old Warden tunnel lives on as a small nature reserve and frequent of the odd urban explorer and wannabe Banksy.

Outside.jpg

Money.JPG

Side.JPG

P1130287.JPG

money3rd.jpg

Attachments

• P1130296.JPG
    P1130296.JPG
    68.1 KB · Views: 45

chills

Queller of the uprising
Nice job for a first report. Shame I wasn’t involved in exploring when I lived in Biggleswade otherwise I’d of been down there like a shot!

Calamity Jane

i see beauty in the unloved, places & things
Regular User
Good 1st report. I do like a tunnel. Welcome to the world of posting, happy posting. Hopefully your find an exploring buddy here. :cool:

G-Man

28DL Member
28DL Member
Really appreciate the warm welcome guys! I'm in Milton Keynes so might get out a few reports in the near future but there's precious little stuff underground about here sadly.

Who has read this thread (Total: 211) View details