real time web analytics
Report - - Old Warden Tunnel, Bedfordshire - April 2023 | Underground Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Old Warden Tunnel, Bedfordshire - April 2023

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

dansgas1000

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Introduction
I’ve visited this tunnel a handful of times but have never actually taken any proper photos here. I had a free Saturday and it’s less than two hours from me so I decided to revisit, in addition to seeing what bits remain at Stewartby Brickworks nearby following the demolition of the chimneys a couple of years back.

Information & History
The Old Warden Tunnel was constructed for the Midland Railway that connected Bedford with Hitchin, then Hitchin to London from 1853. The line closed in 1963 as a result of the Beeching cuts. Dr. Beeching was announced as Chairman of the British Railways Board in 1961 and led a series of route closures and service changes during the sixties and early seventies. In total, over 7,000 miles of routes were axed and the Bedford to Hitchin route via Old Warden was included in this. Even to this day, rail passengers who wish to travel to Hitchin from Bedford or vice-versa now need to go via St Pancreas station in London.

The tunnel itself spans a length of 807 metres (882 yards) and is dead straight, eliminating the need for any blast relief ducts. Just after the line closed and before the tracks were removed, the tunnel was featured in the film Those Magnificent Men.

The tunnel has remained derelict since the film, tracks have been removed and the Southern portal has been partially filled in. The Northern portal is mostly bricked up with a small access hole for bats (and people wishing to squeeze through and access the tunnel of course!). The tunnel is still in fairly good condition with no major collapses. The Northern end in particular is in very good condition and is pretty much bone dry, but it does get pretty soggy the other end. It is just about do-able without wellies, for anyone wishing to visit. There is also some old scrap metal including an engine outside the Northern portal, it's been like this for a couple of years at least.

Onto the photos, starting with an external of the Northern Portal:

IMG_3588.jpg

A lot of rubbish strewn about near to the entrance..

IMG_3592.jpg

Bats access the tunnel either through the small hole near the bottom or up top..

IMG_3593.jpg

Looking towards the Southern Portal, the other end can just about be seen in this pic:

IMG_3600.jpg

I didn't notice this graffiti last time..

IMG_3602.jpg

I walked to the other end and then got more photos on the walk back..

IMG_3603.jpg

The other end is much more photogenic due to the water..

IMG_3609.jpg

IMG_3605.jpg

IMG_3612.jpg

Part of the wall has started collapsing:

IMG_3622.jpg

I couldn't resist getting the classic tunnel shot before I left:

IMG_3619-4.jpg

Thanks for looking!

Who has read this thread (Total: 156) View details