real time web analytics
Report - - One Man, One Dinghy, Megatron Sheffield May 2017 | UK Draining Forum | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - One Man, One Dinghy, Megatron Sheffield May 2017

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Torchlight

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
History
We all know the general history of Sheffield's Megatron, but this report is just about the last 200 m so i will concentrate on that.
See map below which is a 1896 Insurance map of the outlet and surrounding area

34207867830_b16e37c83d_b.jpg

As we know the Megatron culvert was built over the River sheaf in 1860,s allowing the Midland railway station to be built in 1870 and the area to be industrialized. From the map it can be seen that the last 200 m of the River Sheaf was open, that is from the cathedral roof of Megatron to the River Don, also it can be seen that the weir near the end was also in place in the open river. A 1903 map shows similar but on a 1920 map the river has disappeared and is in a culvert. The roof of the last section of culvert is a parabolic construction of reinforced concrete, so probably quite advanced for the time. from the photos you will see the roof profile is not uniform so has been built in two stages

The Explore
On my last Megatron report I paddled a dinghy up the Don then into the Sheaf outlet only to be halted in 20 m due to a steep 6 foot weir, I still wanted to know what the deep section above the weir was like. Boosted with confidence from my last dinghy trip the plan was to carry the dinghy through Megatron from the railway station and paddle down to the weir. As I set off early one morning I felt like I was going on a wartime special operation loaded up with a dinghy in a rucksack and a load of photographic equipment. I entered the Megatron complex under the railway station relieved that nobody challenged me, not that I would of stopped. As I was only interested in the last section I headed straight down a familiar route and 20 minutes later the impressive cathedral appeared in my torchlight, it never fails to amaze this magnificent feat of Victorian engineering

Assembling the dinghy a few doubts crossed my mind, a puncture would mean probably swimming out the other end so had on wet suit and BA, or if the top of the weir was shallow I would not be able to paddle and be swept over the top into 6 foot of water, a length of rope with a handy house brick tied to the end should act like a anchor and brake. Carrying out a full risk assessment I decided it was risky so the explore was on !!

As well as exploring this last bit, I had built a 1950,s style flash bulb gun operated by remote control and was eager to try a couple of 110,000 lumens flash bulbs. The dinghy was inflated, camera gear assembled and a few shots taken prior departure. Time to explore the deep bit, anchor was hoisted on deck, gear all loaded aboard and I set off hugging the left hand wall for security, probing the depth as I went, thinking could a alligator survive in these conditions down here,
The curved parabolic roof changed to a more angular section further on providing great reflection on the calm water, light painting was out on the constant moving dinghy so I had to rely on electronic flash, quality of photos was poor having to use f3.5 and ISO 400/800 to get the right exposure. Approaching the weir head I dropped anchor into 4 foot of water, in fact the depth had stayed pretty constant at 4 foot all the way too deep for thigh waders but OK for chesty,s if anybody fancy's giving it a go, as long as there are no deep holes. I edged to the top of the weir, managed to get a few photos, how do you photograph a outlet with sunlight poring through, very difficult to get a decent photo.

Feeling elated due to Adrenalin pumping round and that I had made it and got my photos I leisurely made my way back, photographing reflections while practicing my oarsman-ship. Back on dry land, checked the time I had been down here for 5 hours only one hour to get back to my car. Loaded up with heavy gear I was soon wandering across Sheffield too happy and knackered to bother about any strange looks.

A few Photographs

33703781353_01c7791822_b.jpg

Just try one of my 110,000 lumen flash bulbs
34514390365_fe24a82a9f_b.jpg

Ready for the off
34383979021_164d06d06d_b.jpg

Looking good
34383985271_ce727600b5_b.jpg

34353508732_867253b0f0_b.jpg

Thats another tenner gone in a flash
33703801873_2f7640782e_b.jpg

34473048436_e9217af3f6_b.jpg

First Section of Roof
34353516012_d4e9ff7967_b.jpg

Final section Of roof
34353523062_5ba545fe24_b.jpg

Teetering on the edge
33703857483_5a0fc6f336_b.jpg

33703850073_e1f8f598f7_b.jpg

Back in safe Waters
34514405725_cc2131875b_b.jpg

Thumper

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Fantastic what a great result and photographs, that flash gun is IMMENSE! What was the height roughly from water surface to roof in that last section, looks very squat?!

TheVicar

Loyal to the Drain
Regular User
Absolutely top stuff sir!
Who gives two hoots about any strange looks, the fact is you are getting stuff done that nobody else is and that's all that matters.
Out of interest, what is the flash gun you are using?

Torchlight

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Fantastic what a great result and photographs, that flash gun is IMMENSE! What was the height roughly from water surface to roof in that last section, looks very squat?!
I, with the dinghy and all the photo equipment it felt like going on a expedition. The last bit of roof was low probably about 5 to 6 foot at the center. I can,t fully remember as I was more concerned about sinking or going over the top of the weir

Torchlight

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Absolutely top stuff sir!
Who gives two hoots about any strange looks, the fact is you are getting stuff done that nobody else is and that's all that matters.
Out of interest, what is the flash gun you are using?
Hi yeah a bit of a adventure, the flashgun was homemade, read that flashbulbs were great for cave photography so I thought I would make one in fact made two. Basically bought a old 1950,s Graflex reflector on eBay bolted it to aluminium tube, then a switch and 9V battery , made a similar one but connected radio control to it so could fire it remote, ie in Dinghy. Big problem is price of bulbs, Megaflash still produce the bulbs but the PF 300 I used were £10 each, Megaflash wanted min order of 48 but managed to buy 6 from someone in London. Used it like light painting, opened the shutter for say 10 secs and fired the bulb off, worked great in big space like Megatron maybe be too powerful for smaller spaces. Fired one off in Haddon rail tunnel and that worked well. Hope info helpful ,thanks

Torchlight

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
About time someone did a proper job of finishing this lot off :thumb
Yeah not done many explores but when I do like to do a thorough job, think I,ve spent more time down Megatron than I have at home these last 2 weeks, thanks

Ojay

Admin
Staff member
Admin
Yeah spent many an hour down there myself, we once did some reinforcement work, call it drain community payback :D

toolsnew.jpg

EOA

Exploring with Bob
28DL Full Member
I am equally impressed with your flash making as I am your exploring. Possibly more the flash making. Just slightly.

Would it be possible to connect a torch up to a remote control like that?