real time web analytics
Report - - Orford Ness AWRE and Cobra Mist - Suffolk - October 2018 | Military Sites | Page 2 | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Orford Ness AWRE and Cobra Mist - Suffolk - October 2018

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

TRL1

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
I did have a read of it myself yesterday, as I'm also a keen naturalist, basially what I studied and I have worked as a warden on fragile moorland environments in the past. I'm very aware shingle habitats are very fragile as are many other places in the UK so thanks for making people aware of the situation.

I presume you also share your virtues with all the other walkers and fishermen who can still access the site on foot as clearly stated in the NT website?

"Coastal vegetated shingle habitats are extremely fragile; the damaging effects of access on foot, and particularly by vehicles, have degraded many areas on the Ness, with loss of vegetation. Military use of Orford Ness has now ceased, but walkers and fishermen can still access the beaches. Such disturbance by humans can also have detrimental effects on breeding, feeding and roosting bird populations, which also have to contend with ground predators and very high tides. For example ‘loose’ colonies of little tern are under severe pressure on Orford Ness from all these causes of disturbance".

The old adage of “Two wrongs” etc comes in here. The beach is subject to storm activity anyway. The vegetation is further up, in general.
I’m quite new to all this, so I’m still learning. I’m quite taken by Orford Ness, and will probably visit three or four times this year, camera in hand. A guided tour and two private visits last year were very enjoyable.
I’m ex-RAF, currently working on Apaches at Wattisham, and have a growing interest in old military sites. However, I’m very aware of the need to leave as little damage behind me as possible, and never knowingly break the rules at special sites. It just isn’t me.
The NT everywhere in the UK is fighting a constant battle with few resources. It’s not for me to make things worse.

Proxy23

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
I was down there for easter! I was eyeing that slice of land with the pagodas from the coast. . . it looks amazing!

TonyFisher

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Wow. Really showing yourself up as an ignorant enthusiast now. You obviously haven’t read anything about what is happening there. You’re only interested in your own blinkered agenda.

Please. Have a read, give yourself some knowledge.
However did nature survive before daft signs and people deciding where we can and can't go? I am sick of a small bunch taking it upon themselves to dictate this nonsense. Reminds me of Landguard Fort in Feliixstowe where nature and people co-existed for years before the econazis erected their fences and then captured small birds in the name of protecting nature. Such hypocrisy. If a million people descended on Orford Island I doubt the world would change much.

TRL1

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
However did nature survive before daft signs and people deciding where we can and can't go? I am sick of a small bunch taking it upon themselves to dictate this nonsense. Reminds me of Landguard Fort in Feliixstowe where nature and people co-existed for years before the econazis erected their fences and then captured small birds in the name of protecting nature. Such hypocrisy. If a million people descended on Orford Island I doubt the world would change much.

With a bit of luck, you’ll grow up one day and not be so selfish. You’re only seeing the world through your own narrow vision. There are plants on the Ness that are important globally. There are aquatic creatures that are endangered. But hey, you know everything and think there’s nothing left for humans to learn.

I’m out. The law-breaking that this forum promotes and applauds isn’t what I was expecting. Bye.

Who has read this thread (Total: 224) View details