real time web analytics
Report - - Otis Lift Tower, Northampton - March 07 | High Stuff | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Otis Lift Tower, Northampton - March 07

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

BaldOne

28DL Member
28DL Member
Been meaning to upload these for ages, but when 28Days closed I forgot all about it!
Hope a new report on an old explore is ok!?
I apologize in advance for my poor photography skills!

The Otis Lift Tower (commonly known to locals as The Express Lift Tower)
Takes an unfit guy like me 25mins to climb the stairs to the top
DSCF0001.jpg

Super secret entrance
DSCF0003.jpg

I guess the dust has had a long time to settle since it's been closed for years
DSCF0007.jpg

At the bottom looking up
DSCF0014.jpg

This was in a sunken pit (I don't profess to know diddly about the workings of the tower ;) )
DSCF0016.jpg

Half way up and a much needed view out
DSCF0020.jpg

Nearing the top of the 'normal' stairs, looking down at where we come from.
DSCF0021.jpg

On the way up there's not much to look at. The actual tower has 3 lift shafts in it, not one actually goes from the very top to the bottom. It's also split up into 3 levels, so you can't actually look all the way down disappointingly.
There's an observation deck behind glass 3/4 of the way up and all we could hear was the squarking of a very large bird (who managed to avoid all my attempts at taking a photo of it as it hovered around in the sky).
However, looking out through the glass I can see it's probably best I hadn't messed with it...
DSCF0057.jpg

Back inside, up a narrower set of stairs we finally get to the top office in the tower. First the obligatory chair shot,
DSCF0059.jpg

Some stuff left on the desk
DSCF0058.jpg

DSCF0062.jpg

The strips of black card used to be stuck on plinths by the windows so that when the VIPs were taken up there they knew what they were looking at.
DSCF0036.jpg

Switch panels
DSCF0060.jpg

DSCF0061.jpg

Upper lift 'motor'
DSCF0037.jpg

Big heavy weights they used to test the capacity of the lift (I guess in this health and safety obsessed world we live in, jamming it full of fat people wasn't the 'done thing' ;) )
DSCF0030.jpg

Lift panel
DSCF0031.jpg

And no, I didn't climb into the lift :gay

Back out the office and a climb up a ladder and we get near to the end of our journey. These are the bulbs Wilson Connolly used to put on their xmas 'tree' (scaffold poles bolted together fact fans!)
DSCF0047.jpg

And then out into the open!
DSCF0049.jpg

DSCF0051.jpg

DSCF0052.jpg

DSCF0032.jpg

Danger radiation!
DSCF0045.jpg

And the ladder up to the very top, which I didn't climb as it was fairly windy and there's nothing to stop you being blown off up there!
DSCF0048.jpg

I've got a few more pics of stuff inside but picked out the most 'interesting' ones.
The BaldOne

TheVicar

Loyal to the Drain
Regular User
Re: Otis Lift Tower, Northampton - Report -March 07

Was driving past this today so got a few snaps.
Renovation work has already begun on the tower as can be seen around the base and up near the top.

lift3.jpg

lift2.jpg

lift1.jpg