Web
Analytics
Report - - Our Lady’s convent / Bryn Hafod, Kettering - August 2013 | Other Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Our Lady’s convent / Bryn Hafod, Kettering - August 2013



Yorrick

28DL Regular User
Regular User
#1
The original house was designed by architect John Alfred Gotch for Charles Wicksteed (the creator of Wicksteed Park) and was built around 1900.

In 1944 the house was bought by Ursuline Nuns. They already owned another building, Middlewest, on the same site.
They used Bryn Hafod as a convent and Middlewest as a school.

In 1954 the Ursuline Nuns moved out and the Sisters of our Lady took over both the convent and the school.

In the 60s a chapel was built on the site and a bit later an accommodation and teaching block were added.

In 2003 the school closed and the Sisters moved out.

In 2011 an application was made for -
Part demolition of buildings with alteration and conversion of premises to provide 2 additional dwellings and a community facility.
Erection of 58 additional dwellings with associated access, car parking, landscaping and public open space
Several extensions and the teaching block have been demolished.


The chapel and Middlewest looked pretty tight, but we had a wander round Bryn Hafod. It’s completely empty but has some nice features.

Explored with Eeka and two non-members.


1.jpg


2.jpg


3.jpg


4.jpg


5.jpg


6.jpg


7.jpg


8.jpg


9.jpg


10.jpg


11.jpg


12.jpg


13.jpg


14.jpg
 

Similar threads