real time web analytics
Report - - Parish Church of St. Peter’s, Huddersfield - June 2012 | High Stuff | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Parish Church of St. Peter’s, Huddersfield - June 2012

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

tweek

SNC/SWC
Regular User
Parish Church of St. Peter’s, Huddersfield - June 2012

‘the church in the heart of the town’

IMG_0182-001.jpg

Visited with fishbrain

Having recently moved back to the Huddersfield area, I spied this target on a little hike around town looking for something to keep me occupied.

Now that I've been reluctantly removed from all things Manc, I needed something modest to reacquaint myself with the Hudd, so I met up with fishy after he'd got back from yet another overseas digression kayaking in the fjords of Norway to hit this little gem up.

Bit o' Histreh

Huddersfield Parish Church, which is dedicated to St Peter, owes its foundation to Walter De Laci. De Laci also built Almondbury Parish Church, Kirkstall Abbey, Pontefract Castle and Halton Castle. The first church was built in 1073, the second in 1506 and the third, this one, in 1836. It is in the gothic style of architecture and the tower contains a clock and 10 bells.

The present Parish Church was designed by J. P. Pritchett of York, who was also the architect for the Town's epic railway station. The window details are rather plain, but are slightly more embellished with trefoils to the heads of the lancet windows.

IMG_0170.jpg
IMG_0185.jpg
IMG_0162.jpg

Building I like to call 'The Witch's Hat', which is actually some kind of Methodist Centre.

IMG_0163.jpg

IMG_0174.jpg
IMG_0176.jpg

Glancing down Kirkgate, notice the unusual figure atop the Boy and Barrel Inn and the former Palace Cinema.

IMG_0180.jpg

Opposite St Peter’s Church are the Kirkgate buildings dating from 1880 and designed by Huddersfield architect W. H. Crossland.

IMG_0168.jpg

Formerly the old parish Churchyard, St Peter’s Gardens were opened to the public in 1952. A long, long time ago, cloth used to be sold in the churchyard, using the walls and even the gravestones as shop counters. The other side of the Gardens you can see the St. Peter's Buildings which I visited with fishbrain September last year.

IMG_0166.jpg
IMG_0172.jpg

IMG_0178.jpg
IMG_0184-001.jpg
IMG_0177.jpg

IMG_0188.jpg

Thanks,
tweek

:Not Worthy

Last edited: