real time web analytics
Report - - Pen-yr-Orsedd Quarry - May 2019 | Mines and Quarries | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Pen-yr-Orsedd Quarry - May 2019

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Kidney

Weirdy Beardy
28DL Full Member
Going through memory cards from last year I found this little gem, the Pen-yr-Orsedd quarry. Although many of these quarry buildings are slowly returning to nature there's a certain level of photographic derpy-ness about them that I love. Maybe it's the fact that most derelict surface stuff in the South East are burnt out shells with the strong aroma of "Eau-De-Tramp" and full of Goontube stickers.

Brief History

Originally opened as hillside galleries in 1816. Mills were built on three levels in 1860, 1870 and 1898 successively. At its peak 613 men were employed here. The quarry was made up of a series of pits and its most notable feature in the later years was the Pen-yr-orsedd Slate Quarry complex series of four aerial ropeways known as 'Blondins', with Bruce Peebles electrical equipment of 1906. Sadly only one blondin survives in situ with another on its side nearby.
The main workings closed in 1979, from 1980 small scale workings were carried out until production ceased around 2000. There is evidence from the vehicles and site signage that this quarry was worked until around 2012. Haven’t been able to find any info on this but perhaps someone thought wrongly that it was viable for small slate chippings. Either way the site is now abandoned.

The Explore

Not too much to say about this one, having seen it on many forums and wanting something chilled on our last afternoon having spent the last 3 days either underground or trekking up Snowdon we decided to pay a visit..... if anything for the aerial ropeway (AKA Blondin). Was very surprised to see the former electrical intake room was now containing live switchgear for the farm/houses above and was very accessible, who needs regulation in the mountains huh?

Only other people we saw that afternoon were a father and his son burying something. Had to resist the temptation to dig up Tiddles and shout "hey, you appear to have dropped this" :D

On with the photo's

Thank you for scrolling through!

tigger

mog
Regular User
I remember it with more blondins. Hopefuly that one will remain for years yet.
That plus the lovely brine rheostats in a couple of the remaining wnder houses...what's not to like!

Kidney

Weirdy Beardy
28DL Full Member
I remember it with more blondins. Hopefuly that one will remain for years yet.
That plus the lovely brine rheostats in a couple of the remaining wnder houses...what's not to like!
I "think" we covered every building and all winding houses. Dont recall seeing the rheostats.

Yeah just the one now, its sister is on its side. :(

tigger

mog
Regular User
I "think" we covered every building and all winding houses. Dont recall seeing the rheostats.

Big redish lump in your photo. Not as simple looking as the wooden barrel type that used to be common next to incline drum houses.

Yeah just the one now, its sister is on its side. :(

You can make out the remains of three on the gound if you root about a bit and use your imagination! When I was a kid they were so common you didn't really notice them. Aerial ropeways were the same. It's as though they disappeared overnight. Perhaps in part to do with scrap value at one time. Quarry owners everywhere used to be very good at 're-purposing' and scrapping rather than spending fresh money.

Down and beyond

The true source of englands wealth is coal
Regular User
Well worth putting up, love the pulley system but by far the 1997 Landrover discovery 300 such a iconic motor have Own many of these think the count at moment is around 9 ! But enough on them great post

Calamity Jane

i see beauty in the unloved, places & things
Regular User
What a stunning little place. Interesting too. The pulley system is a great shot as are the houses. Views are amazing. Nothing here not to like :thumb

Kidney

Weirdy Beardy
28DL Full Member
Big redish lump in your photo. Not as simple looking as the wooden barrel type that used to be common

Sometimes it's the small detail you miss, makes sense now. Did notice the big red explosives day locker near the siren.

Who has read this thread (Total: 185) View details