real time web analytics
Report - - Penarth Slate Mine, Carrog, North Wales May 2012 | Mines and Quarries | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Penarth Slate Mine, Carrog, North Wales May 2012

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Degenatron

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
It was quite a long time since I last went down a mine so last weekend it was time to scratch the itch.

Some History first.

Penarth (near Corwen, Denbighshire) is a moderately-sized slate quarry, initially comprising terraces and an open pit but later also including underground workings. The remains are generally dated from 1868, when development took place as a result of the arrival of the railway, but some of the open workings are undoubtedly much earlier. The initial working used hand dressing, with the slate being carted by road. Water power may have been introduced with the development of the underground workings during the mid-nineteenth century. In or shortly after 1868, 150 men were said to have been employed but only 10 men were recorded as working at the quarry in 1883, despite a creditable near 500 tons of production at that time. The quarry closed in 1890 but re-opened five years later. An incline connection was made to the railway and a sawmill (possibly with water-powered sand saws) was situated near the foot of the incline. In 1903, it was stated that all sawing was done in this 'wharf' mill. In 1904, a sawing shed opened at the eastern end of the site with a 12 h.p. Blackburne engine. Possibly later than this, a Hornsby 40 h.p. gas engine was installed, which is stated to have operated a 'force pump'. During the years before closure, in 1932, only slab (about 1000 tons per year) was produced. Source: Alun John Richards, 'A Gazeteer of the Welsh Slate Industry' (Llanrwst: Gwasg Carreg Gwalch, 1991), pp. 206-7.

Item reference: : GTJ25778

This item comes from: Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Wales (Item reference: 95-CS-0239).
All items from this repository / contributor

After walking up and down the A5 looking for the footpath up to the mine, myself and Trancentral gave up and decided to follow the old tramway straight up the hill. It was not a nice trek at all and I was knackered by the time we reached the mine workings.

Penarth-122.jpg

On the surface ruins of the old processing buildings still remain.

Penarth-4.jpg

After quick rest and a drink then we where ready to go underground.

Penarth-6.jpg

Penarth-8.jpg

Penarth-10.jpg

Trancentral poses next to the entrance

Penarth-12.jpg

Penarth-14.jpg

Penarth-15.jpg

The oldest date I found was 1910

Penarth-17.jpg

Penarth-21.jpg

Penarth-32.jpg

Penarth-33.jpg

After taking this shot we saw torch lights and heard someone politely shout "good afternoon". We clambered back down the incline and met up with two blokes, one of them was wearing a famous pair of pants. Of all the people it could have been it turned out to be Xan Asmodi and The Kwan!. After a chat we split up and carried on with our explores.

Penarth-39.jpg

There are about 4 of these winches still down there.

Penarth-40.jpg

Penarth-52.jpg

The blue looking light is my 85w hid torch. Its a crap colour for light painting but its huge lumen output easily lights huge dark places.

Penarth-55.jpg

Penarth-60.jpg

Ropey roof supports

Penarth-63cen.jpg

Penarth-73.jpg

Penarth-86.jpg

Penarth-96.jpg

Penarth-98stk.jpg

Thanks for looking.