real time web analytics
Report - - Plumstead Hospital - Stable Block | Asylums and Hospitals | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Plumstead Hospital - Stable Block

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Muninn

28DL Member
28DL Member
Ok, here's report number two. Sorry about taking a while as a lot of my images were on a broken computer....

This report is made up of two visits, some are from around July/August 2009, and some are from the Christmas break following an improptu revisit.

A bit of History/Background

The stable block is part of the old Plumstead Hospital Complex. The hospital is still there in parts, however a large area has now been demolished and houses built in it's place. There are still a lot of derelict buildings still about, some are worth saving, some aren't. This building falls into the first category.

This Grade II listed building is the Stable Block that served the old hall on the site (still extant), and the section of building to the left (as you look from the entrance) was the living quarters for the head Stable Worker. The clock tower still contains the original mechanisms, supposedly taken from another older building. This clock mechanism is one of only a couple like it in the world, and is therefore also listed (and worth a small mint!)

After the hospital took over, the buildings became part of the Groundskeepers stores and offices. Recently it has seen use as a site office for the company building the houses. It now stands empty, awaiting conversion into housing units.

OK, onto the pictures... I've mixed the photos up a bit, but shouldn't matter anyway (clue: the ones with snow on weren't taken in July!)

1. General View from the front - looks a bit "Prisoner" to me:
IMG_0907.jpg

2. The Clocktower:
IMG_0776.jpg

3. Inside the courtyard:
IMG_0778.jpg

IMG_0777.jpg

IMG_0785.jpg

6. WTF?!?
IMG_0927.jpg

7. There are a lot of building materials and signs in here (also behind me...)
IMG_0925.jpg

8.:gay
IMG_0926.jpg

9. Interesting horse planter:
IMG_0933.jpg

10. A bit of industrial pron in the boiler room:
IMG_0783.jpg

IMG_0784.jpg

12. I wouldn't shower in that!
IMG_0782.jpg

13. Plenty of folders left over by the house builders:
IMG_0787.jpg

14. Finally, a couple of pictures of the clock mechanism, accessable through a narrow access hatch (just do-able for me, I eat too many biscuits). Apologies for the slightly cr@p pics, it was a tight space to do it justice:
IMG_0779.jpg

IMG_0780.jpg

Hope you like them! I admit that one or two aren't up to my standards, but have put them in for interest. BTW Bonus points for anyone who can get in there and wind the clock up. I bet if it chimes on the hour it'd scare the crap out of people!

Who has read this thread (Total: 1) View details