real time web analytics
Report - - Poole Air Raid Shelter, Poole, Dorset - 30.09.2010 | Underground Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Poole Air Raid Shelter, Poole, Dorset - 30.09.2010

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Montstar

28DL Member
28DL Full Member
Full credit goes to Markymark on finding this. One weekday lunchtime I get a phone call from him, sat inside a digger at work, "Errm, Adam, I think I've just found a bunker"

You would find it hard to believe that a bunker like this would still be accessible in a busy town centre such as Poole.

It was mid-afternoon when we got to our location. A small patch of green amongst a concrete jungle. A fake man hole cover would be our entry point, obviously put there not to arouse suspicion of what might lay beneath.

As we walk up a busy main road wearing hi-vis jackets, wellies and carrying an extendable ladder you’d think we would stick out like sore thumbs but apparently being seen is the new invisible! No one bats an eyelid as we uncover the man hole and start descending into the depths of Poole Town Centre.

Unfortunately, nothing much remains of what used to be down there. Benches have long gone, toilets and urinals smashed or removed. One poster remained on the wall…just. It would have read “Bring your Gas Mask with youâ€￾ – a chilling reminder of what the people who congregated down there were going through.

There were two entrances to the bunker. Stairways at either end. Now capped with concrete from above, a slither of light can be seen peeping through.

1. Priceless!
DSC_0150.jpg

2. Reinforced ceilings
DSC_0158.jpg

DSC_0163.jpg

DSC_0169.jpg

DSC_0175.jpg

DSC_0177.jpg

DSC_0178.jpg