Web
Analytics
Report - - Prudential Assurance Building, Oldham Sept 16 | Other Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Prudential Assurance Building, Oldham Sept 16

dweeb

Super Moderator
Staff member
Grade II Listed Office building. 1889. By Alfred Waterhouse. Brick with terracotta dressings, and red plain tiled roof. 3 stories raised over basement with attic. 3-window range with recessed polygonal towers over entrances to each side. Polished granite plinth and piers to round-arched entrance in shallow projecting gabled porch. 3 wide round-arched windows to ground floor, each of 3 lights with small upper panes. Raised lettering "Prudential Assurance Buildings" over ground floor windows.
Well... If you like a bit of architectural ceramics this is a must see. The tile work in this place is one of the best examples I have ever seen in a building in use or derelict. I made the journey solely to see this, so I was very pleased to find it was still open.

DSC_1542_zpskzfm882h.jpg

It's the blue tiles that are just amazing in here... 4 times the size of an average tile and decorated in that beautiful sky blue, which was the most expensive colour of tile.
DSC_1538_zpsdpcfcqff.jpg

Every component of the fireplace other than the grate was ceramic. I find it difficult to comprehend how much something like this would have cost... an average blokes yearly salary if not more.
DSC_1415_zpsnrtou8qq.jpg

It's common to see tiles in Edwardian fireplaces, but what blew me away here was the hood of the fireplace was one huge tile. Again a pricey embellishment, the larger the tile the more it cost. Don't forget bigger tiles take up more room in the sagger!
DSC_1528_zpstpyfme5s.jpg

Blue tiles again for the pillars. If you've ever done any tiling, you'll know it's tough to keep a good straight line. Imagine tiling a radius in triangular tiles!!
DSC_1523_zpsbcmwzxdh.jpg

Cupboard... yeah let's tile that too
DSC_1536_zps450qsvpf.jpg
DSC_1500_zpsgxn0lzjl.jpg

Very unusual glass here, cut with triangular angles to act as a kind of prism. Decorated with a flower design of course...
DSC_1512_zpskhf6jbcu.jpg

DSC_1504_zpsyb5vj7kx.jpg

DSC_1505_zpszkgoapc2.jpg

A touch of the 70's here, along with a touch of barbarianism!
DSC_1487_zps6hs1uj2w.jpg
DSC_1485_zpsxte3omk4.jpg

Too many rolls of paper... what to do? Paper the ceiling :)
DSC_1472_zpsi5hcksnh.jpg

DSC_1471_zpshwk783i1.jpg

Loft finds, including a pair of Codd marble stoppered bottles. They must have been in the loft for the better part of a hundred years...

DSC_1470_zps4y2bzwur.jpg

DSC_1459_zpsjkiumkd2.jpg

DSC_1442_zps5mxnj3jz.jpg
DSC_1440_zpsq54nyju6.jpg

Still gleaming after a century
DSC_1439_zpskpy5i2pi.jpg

Straight on shot of the office, showing the tilework from skirting to cornice. Note the one tile which has been replaced, I suspect when gas lighting gave way to electricity
DSC_1428_zpsr9t0mcwk.jpg

One can only imagine what was once housed in those alcoves...
DSC_1425_zpsrja5fwij.jpg

DSC_1421_zpshubopihv.jpg
DSC_1418_zpssoknujnr.jpg

DSC_1420_zpsrftgadsw.jpg

Attachments

Ojay

Admin
Staff member
Admin
Incredible Stu, simply not had chance to look at this as of yet, and tbh after seeing these pics, no need really!

Right up your street this I know, amazing example of tile work and some cracking pics :thumb

I sure hope said tile work is re-used to a fashion, that said, it's Oldham and it will prob be reduced to rubble or skipped, if that happens you should nip back and volunteer to re-home the lot of it f.o.c

Six

Super Moderator
Staff member
Ojay, don't put ideas in his head! The last thing we need is more bloody tiles!

The Lone Shadow

Industrial Fanatic!
28DL Full Member
Jeez, thats a bit of alright. What wonderful architecture.