real time web analytics
Report - - RAF Barkway Mast, Barkway, Herts - Nov 2013 | High Stuff | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - RAF Barkway Mast, Barkway, Herts - Nov 2013

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Storm

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
RAF Barkway Mast​

Royal Air Force Station Barkway or RAF Barkway was one the smallest RAF stations in the UK. It was a Communications Station
and was a small collection of buildings and a large radio mast. It was originally opened as a monitor station on 22 June 1942 for
the Gee (navigation) network in the Eastern area, this system was developed by the USA Air Force into the LORAN system, which
was used to improve aircraft navigation, until GPS made it obsolete. The mast is 348 feet/106 metres tall.

The site was used by the United States Air Forces in Europe (USAFE). It was part of communications network linking:

RAF Chicksands RAF Molesworth
RAF Mildenhall RAF Alconbury
RAF Lakenheath RAF Croughton
RAF Feltwell

In the cold war years the mast also formed part of the NATO/USAF/RAF early warning network.
In September 2008 the station was broken into by a BASE jumper who climbed the mast and then
jumped off and deployed his parachute.

The site was sold in early 2011 as surplus to the Ministry of Defence (MOD) requirements, the mast
is now being used to supply the local area with broadband services.

After seeing SS report, I though I'd give it a go.

On with the pics....

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

8.jpg

12.jpg

24.jpg

22.jpg

34.jpg

DSC05334-1.jpg

38.jpg

42.jpg

44.jpg

48.jpg

46.jpg

Thanks for looking.

alexmrcr98

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Loveley report! I remember hearing about that base jump.
Also was this risky due to it being a MOD site, or does it not count as MOD since it has been sold? Id love to explore but dont want to risk a criminal trespass charge.