real time web analytics
Report - - RAF Bawdsey - Suffolk - July 2020 | Military Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - RAF Bawdsey - Suffolk - July 2020

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Frank Gallagher

28DL Member
28DL Member
Please bare with me, this is my first report, i couldn't not do one on this place. I found out about this location via a fellow explorer, a small group of 4 of us went recently to check it out and its awesome!

Building history

The building for this east coast bunker began in 1936 and it was the first fully operational radar station in the world. Personnel were trained here to staff the Chain Home network of radar stations, located around the UK coast, to provide an early warning system for attacks from the air. It was the development site for first ‘airborne intercept’ and ‘friend or foe’ radar systems, the first radar training school, the first place to have women in front line roles (as radar operators) and the place of origin of modern operational research

The station closed on the 31st March 1991.

The site originally also had ten towers which were used for tracking enemy ships and aircraft but these were demolished in the 60s, the last of the giant transmitter masts came down in 2000, most of what is left of the station is underground.

The explore

You start off by going down some concrete stairs (pictured). In the building there are 2 full floors including safe rooms, a canteen, meeting rooms, radar and communication rooms (including equipment - pictured), and soundproofed sleep pods

The building has a mixture of concrete and wooden floors, a lot of the wood has given way now, and as its enclosed underground it got quite warm down there! The building is incredible. Some of the communication equipment is still there and pretty much untouched. With huge blast doors sectioning off the long corridor it seemed to go on forever! On the lowest level there is one tunnel that unfortunately has started to flood so wellies were needed (a couple of my friends put carrier bags on their shoes and obviously got soaking wet feet lol) Theres another half level which holds a small rail system, i'm assuming to send mail, supplies etc from one end to the other.

Overall it took around 2.5/3 hours to explore, it was fantastic and one that i'll definitely return to.

Apologies for the picture quality, they were taken on my mobile phone.

Last edited by a moderator:

Calamity Jane

i see beauty in the unloved, places & things
Regular User
Nice 1st report. Spot on really. Looks an interesting explore. Pics are good enough, we are an exploring site not photography site after all.

pirate

Rum Swigger
28DL Full Member
Anyone know anything about the Minerva Detector made in Richmond Surrey ?

Where I work in petersham there is an old bunker at the end of a garden,there was a Ww2 radar station in the area which was targeted by bombers.

apparently they We’re doing experimental radar stuff at the location so the above piece of kit is interesting.

Frank Gallagher

28DL Member
28DL Member
Anyone know anything about the Minerva Detector made in Richmond Surrey ?

Where I work in petersham there is an old bunker at the end of a garden,there was a Ww2 radar station in the area which was targeted by bombers.

apparently they We’re doing experimental radar stuff at the location so the above piece of kit is interesting.
I will have to do some research and try get back to you.