real time web analytics
Report - - RAF Davidstow, Cornwall, August 2013 | Military Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - RAF Davidstow, Cornwall, August 2013

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

crusader

28DL New Member
28DL Full Member
Hi all, I was in Cornwall last week, and I happened to be not too far from RAF Davidstow, so I thought I should go for a quick explore on a lazy afternoon :mrgreen:

History​

(From Wikipedia :lol: )
The land was acquired in 1941 and a three-runway airfield with extensive dispersal area was constructed in the first half of 1942. Despite the moorland conditions construction was reasonably straightforward, although it did involve the removal of various field boundaries, the closure of minor roads and some drainage work.
The airfield was closed in December 1945 to become a motor racing circuit, known as Davidstow Circuit. In the early 1950s three Formula One races were held there (the Cornwall MRC Formula 1 Races) including the first success for the Lotus marque.

The airfield is currently derelict and some of the buildings are in use by farmers and occasionally aircraft use the runway.

The control tower:

DSCF0609_zpsa6130041.jpg

Back of the control tower:
DSCF0599_zpsce207865.jpg

A panorama:
DSCF0601_zpsdb310bef.jpg

Bunkers:
DSCF0595_zpsb9ab1614.jpg

A tower which we managed to climb ;)

DSCF0586_zpse04ba7d3.jpg

View of the tower:

DSCF0584_zps738f8f52.jpg

A couple of buildings still in use:

DSCF0579_zpsd8818a8e.jpg

These buildings were abandoned, looks like they may have been converted to farm use at some point:

DSCF0583_zps9fb6256a.jpg

Anyway thanks for looking and sorry if the pics are too big, Photobucket resizing seems to have a problem :confused: