real time web analytics
Report - - RAF Driffield - March 2020 (Pre Lockdown!) | Military Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - RAF Driffield - March 2020 (Pre Lockdown!)

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

HMGY___

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
A brief history of RAF Driffield

RAF Driffield is a former Royal Air Force station 1.7 miles (2.7 km) south west of Driffield, East Riding of Yorkshire.
It was first opened as RAF Eastburn in 1918, before closing in early 1920. In 1935 a new airfield was built for the RAF, first for training bomber crews then taking a very active part in World War Two - on Thursday, 15 August 1940 it was badly damaged by a huge raid by German bombers during the Battle of Britain. The airfield was closed for a while for repairs, but reopened in early 1941, with fighters replacing bombers for a short period as Spitfires and Hurricanes from No.13 Group Fighter Command moved in.
Bomber Command returned in April 1941, with Halifaxes from No.4 Group now taking to the skies on an almost nightly basis to attack mainland Europe, inevitably suffering heavy losses.
After the war, RAF Driffield continued as a training base, even becoming home to Thor nuclear missiles aimed at Russia during the height of the Cold War.
The base eventually closed in 1977, after which the British Army made use of the old runways as a driving school, with the base becoming known as Alamein Barracks.

The Explore

I went here with my dad and local newbie explorer for a second visit and the place is amazing. We spent a full afternoon there and still not sure we saw it all. Finding an old stretcher in top condition has to be the highlight! All photos a credit to my dad @Dek

Calamity Jane

i see beauty in the unloved, places & things
Regular User
Really photogenic surprisingly. Lots of reclaiming of nature going on, and peely goodness. I like this. :thumb

Netsa

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Found ourselves in the middle of an airsoft game last Sunday! Got out without being seen but do take this into consideration if you want to visit

HMGY___

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Found ourselves in the middle of an airsoft game last Sunday! Got out without being seen but do take this into consideration if you want to visit
Haha I didn't know they actually used the derelict buildings for the airsoft Haa!

Netsa

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Haha I didn't know they actually used the derelict buildings for the airsoft Haa!
They seemed to avoid the accommodation buildings at the back but the concrete flooring buildings seem to all be used, theres bases and check points built Inside the main buildings surrounding the car park

TFSkeleton

28DL Member
28DL Member
Amazing to see, If i remember correctly there is a gun battery site on the airfield, i can't remember exactly where, but back in 2008-2013 when i lived in that neck of the woods, there were rumours of some hidden ammunition stores around the gun battery area, just in case you weren't aware

HMGY___

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Amazing to see, If i remember correctly there is a gun battery site on the airfield, i can't remember exactly where, but back in 2008-2013 when i lived in that neck of the woods, there were rumours of some hidden ammunition stores around the gun battery area, just in case you weren't aware
Didn't see that mate! Maybe another time!

Who has read this thread (Total: 315) View details