real time web analytics
Report - - RAF High Ercall oct 2014 | Military Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - RAF High Ercall oct 2014

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

lucan

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
RAF High Ercall - the Angle Centre

World War 2 (1939 - 1945)
Royal Air Force (RAF) High Ercall took over around 300 acres of farmland, the Airfield was constructed in 1940 and finally disbanded in 1964. It had 3 runways :- 11/29 being 1591 yards long, this being the main one, having the Beacon just over the road at 11 end and the Markers at 29 end, 05/23 was 1412 yards long and 17/35 1278 yards.
It was the home from its inception until 1962 to 29 MU set up to handle and store American aircraft at first, although many other Squadrons came and went over its life. The Airfield was bombed in March 1941 but caused only minor damage. Its seems to have been a bit of a hardship for those stationed here as for a time there was no running water, and when there was it froze in winter, there were no toilets on the living sites or roads to them.
The site later became the headquarters for the Road Transport Industry Training Board (RTITB) Multi Occupational Training and Educational Centre (MOTEC 1)
now the site has just been sold and is used to train big hairy dogs , they were there on the day i visited so i couldnt go in some of the buildings.

wo5qc.jpg

2rxuvex.jpg

1rq3id.jpg

2a63skk.jpg

fokh76.jpg

24l7dpt.jpg

6dxw0z.jpg

sp9pud.jpg

2b4b5e.jpg

2w6z9xu.jpg

120ozsz.jpg

2uic0he.jpg

qssgp3.jpg

2872168.jpg

6tjn13.jpg

2hcmetg.jpg

thanks for looking

Will Knot

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Now that is a nice little change to the norm.....like the old Bedford.......nice report and pics there mate :thumb

lucan

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
thanks for your comments , its a nice way to get into this exploring as theres loads of places like this in shropshire where i live , and im just getting into photography too so its a good way to combine the two

The_Raw

Staff member
Love it, just outside my home town too so will have to take a look at this next time I'm back :thumb

Last edited:

Who has read this thread (Total: 5) View details