real time web analytics
Report - - RAF Manby Officers Mess, Lincolnshire - Aug 2017 | Military Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - RAF Manby Officers Mess, Lincolnshire - Aug 2017

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

robmcc83

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
This is my first proper post as my last was done with a torch and phone lol.

After buying my first dslr a few weeks ago and watching some tutorials of adobe lightroom, this place seemed like the best first place to visit as i was camping 10 mins down the road with the family from this place.

So please be gentle as these are probably amateur but surely i will get better soon :)

I Visited with the two oldest kids again as the seem to enjoy the adventure more than me :)

A little history first, Then onto the pics.

The Officers' Mess and Single Officers' Quarters was built in 1937 and is by A. Bulloch, the architectural advisor to the Air Ministry's Directorate of Works and Buildings. It has a complex extended H-Plan set out on formal Beaux-Arts lines. The main range includes the principal dining room, reception room, lounge and other public rooms as well as the kitchen. The bedroom blocks form the outer arms of the H. It is an impressive example of a neo-Georgian officers' mess and quarters, typical of those built on airfields in the 1930s.

RAF Manby was opened in 1938 as home to the Empire Air Armament School. Many bomb disposal techniques were invented at Manby, often a trial by fire.

By June 1940, RAF Manby housed the Joint Services Bomb Disposal School. Royal Engineers and Royal Navy demolition parties being trained alongside their RAF counterparts. In August 1940, the bomb disposal workload, generated by ever-increasing enemy activity, led to the establishment of 25 mobile BD squads, increased in manpower strength from three to 25 personnel each.

RAF Strubby came under RAF Manby RAF Flying College from VJ Day until closure in 1972. The nucleus of the staff of the Empire Central Flying School was transferred to RAF Manby to open the Flying College in 1946. Manby later became the home of the College of Air Warfare, part of which was the School of Refresher Flying.

As a member of the crash crew in 1951/52 at RAF Strubby, Les Featherstone attended a Vampire crash into a farm yard. The pilot was Wing Commander Steventon. He bailed out, but his parachute did not open, and he crashed through the farmhouse roof. The farm was local between Strubby and Mablethorpe.

In Oct 1954 a Canberra bomber belonging to the RAF Flying College, Manby, makes the first jet flight over the North Pole.

In 1963 the Navigation Wing of the Central Navigation and Control School moved to RAF Manby from RAF Shawbury, leaving Shawbury the task of all aspects of ATC training as the Central Air Traffic Control School.

The base closed in 1974. Today the site is used for Agriculture, the hangers are used as a grain store, with other buildings being used for industry. It is also home to Manby and District Model Aero Club.

IMG_0122.jpg

IMG_0124.jpg

IMG_0126.jpg
IMG_0127.jpg

IMG_0130.jpg

IMG_0131.jpg

IMG_0132.jpg

IMG_0138.jpg

IMG_0133.jpg

IMG_0139.jpg

IMG_0143.jpg

IMG_8695.jpg

IMG_0144.jpg

IMG_0147.jpg

IMG_0153.jpg

IMG_0155.jpg

IMG_8676.jpg

IMG_8683.jpg

IMG_8685.jpg

IMG_0157.jpg

IMG_0169.jpg

IMG_8696.jpg

IMG_0171.jpg

IMG_0172.jpg

IMG_0177.jpg

IMG_0178.jpg

IMG_0181.jpg

IMG_0189.jpg

robmcc83

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
I think they are a top-notch set of pics there to be honest with you...

Thanks mate :)
Still leaning with the camera and trust me there was some poor ones lol, what I posted was just some of the best ones out of all the ones I took.

HughieD

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Thanks mate :)
Still leaning with the camera and trust me there was some poor ones lol, what I posted was just some of the best ones out of all the ones I took.

If you end up with that many good ones that's all you need!

roy smith

28DL Member
28DL Member
Sad to see the old officers mess , i can remember it as a place full of vitality . i was there as a chef as a SAC when i was in the Raf stationed there lots of great memories