real time web analytics
Report - - RAF Melton Mowbray 2nd April 2017 | Military Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - RAF Melton Mowbray 2nd April 2017

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

TheBritishFuck

28DL Member
28DL Member
RAF Melton Mowbray

znMeHXZ.jpg

An ex-RAF site originally built in 1941 and was owned by the Air Ministry.

Originally built as a 'Class A' Airfield intended for aircraft maintenance but was then take over by the RAF Transport Command.Many well know aircraft were flown from the airfield, including the Supermarine Spitfire and the Mosquito.

After the war (1946-1958) it was then used by the Polish Resettlement Corps, housing Polish Air Force personnel and their families.

Between (1959-1963) it was used as a Thor Strategic missile site, which operated the flight of 3 missiles from the base.

Currently, the majority of the airfield now houses an industrial estate, but a few of the original buildings are still standing.

8ksLzoN.jpg

The Upper left most of the buildings

Unfortunately, since the site is very close to the town itself there is a lot of damage that has been done to the buildings as well as a lot of fly tipping on the site.

Vqnezo2.jpg

Same building different angle, and a look at some of the graffiti that has been done to the buildings

s6fXhg0.jpg

There was a bed in case you got tired whilst exploring.

LY2cdN4.jpg

A toy car found in the central building.

yvraM5g.jpg

Outside of the central building

jZpqzWK.jpg

The longest building on the right-hand side of the site.

LjhLKFh.jpg

Inside of the right-hand side building

y1Px975.jpg

Inside the final building

y0OVrjy.jpg

The only still standing air raid shelter that I could find, though there are foundations for more

BfyPzf7.jpg

Shower block attached to one of the buildings

Thanks for reading, I have no idea how to delete posts, so I post this one that is more in depth.​

Last edited: