real time web analytics
Report - - RAF Moreton-In-Marsh - Gloucestershire - September 2017 | Military Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - RAF Moreton-In-Marsh - Gloucestershire - September 2017

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

H....

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
RAF Moreton-in-Marsh was a Royal Air Force station near Moreton-in-Marsh, Gloucestershire. It was opened in November 1940 and closed for operational flying in early 1948. The base remained in use as a relief runway and for training. After a period of care and maintenance, the Station was handed over to the Home Office in 1955.

The former airfield is now home to the Fire Service College where senior fire officers from brigades all over the UK undergo operational, management and leadership training.

Shamelessly copied from Wikipedia! :thumb

Anyway, more about the site. It is a large airfield with an abundance of vehicles on it ranging from cars to lorry's to busses to planes and helicopters. These are in varying states of repair and fire damage etc.

Trains:

IMG_9656.JPG
IMG_9657.JPG
IMG_9658.JPG
IMG_9659.JPG
IMG_9660.JPG
IMG_9661.JPG
IMG_9666.JPG
IMG_9667.JPG
IMG_9668.JPG
IMG_9669.JPG
IMG_9669.JPG
IMG_9673.JPG
IMG_9675.JPG
IMG_9676.JPG

Cars:

IMG_9687.JPG
IMG_9686.JPG
IMG_9689.JPG
IMG_9672.JPG
IMG_9671.JPG

Helicopter (sorry I only got interior pictures as the light on it might have attracted unwanted attention):

IMG_9652.JPG
IMG_9653.JPG
IMG_9654.JPG
IMG_9655.JPG

Lorry:

IMG_9679.JPG

Minibus with fake blood inside:

IMG_9680.JPG
IMG_9681.JPG
IMG_9682.JPG
IMG_9683.JPG
IMG_9684.JPG

Hope you enjoyed having a look through, once again sorry for the standard of photography :D

Attachments

• IMG_9670.JPG
    IMG_9670.JPG
    99 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_9674.JPG
    IMG_9674.JPG
    122.5 KB · Views: 30

Taliesin Bourne

Specsy
28DL Full Member
is it still heavily operational or just to a degree that light might attract security? just as its dark i thought this might be the case?

True_British_Metal

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Excellent to see what's new at the site after my previous visits in 2007 and 2012. The Class 73 and coaches in the rail incident ground were scrapped long ago in 2009, replaced by what you've shown.

As for the aircraft, I never saw it because it was hidden behind bushes at the end of the runway but the intact Jet Provost XM404 was moved away to Bruntingthorpe for restoration but the fuselage was scrapped because the school burned an irreparable hole in the fuselage. There's now a group for the restoration of the cockpit and the nose. XP680 which I found by chance is probably scrapped, if not still hiding in the bushes to the east near where the turboprop was. The Hawker Hunter WT804 moved barely moved 2-3 miles up the road to a farm in Todenham in October, for what purpose however I don't know yet. Most sadly however of all, was the on-site scrapping of the Vickers Viscount turboprop G-BAPF in October 2017 after nearly 26 years on site.

On a side note, I would advise this moves non-public because I was stupid to post enough details of my then-occupation as a student on an aviation forum; they didn't like trespassers, so grassed me in to the management here who emailed my university department, saying: it appears one of your students has a penchant for trespass. We are not considering legal action, but would you kindly send us his address as would like to send him a letter explaining the consequences of his actions so that this will not happen again in future. Luckily my education officer was an friend of mine and urban explorer and saw the funny side of it and didn't reply!

H....

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Excellent to see what's new at the site after my previous visits in 2007 and 2012. The Class 73 and coaches in the rail incident ground were scrapped long ago in 2009, replaced by what you've shown.

As for the aircraft, I never saw it because it was hidden behind bushes at the end of the runway but the intact Jet Provost XM404 was moved away to Bruntingthorpe for restoration but the fuselage was scrapped because the school burned an irreparable hole in the fuselage. There's now a group for the restoration of the cockpit and the nose. XP680 which I found by chance is probably scrapped, if not still hiding in the bushes to the east near where the turboprop was. The Hawker Hunter WT804 moved barely moved 2-3 miles up the road to a farm in Todenham in October, for what purpose however I don't know yet. Most sadly however of all, was the on-site scrapping of the Vickers Viscount turboprop G-BAPF in October 2017 after nearly 26 years on site.

On a side note, I would advise this moves non-public because I was stupid to post enough details of my then-occupation as a student on an aviation forum; they didn't like trespassers, so grassed me in to the management here who emailed my university department, saying: it appears one of your students has a penchant for trespass. We are not considering legal action, but would you kindly send us his address as would like to send him a letter explaining the consequences of his actions so that this will not happen again in future. Luckily my education officer was an friend of mine and urban explorer and saw the funny side of it and didn't reply!

It’s definitely an interesting place to go with changes of scenery every time! Thoroughly enjoy going here! Security is rubbish too which is a bonus :)