real time web analytics
Report - - RAF Sculthorpe, Norfolk - February 2023 | Military Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - RAF Sculthorpe, Norfolk - February 2023

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

dansgas1000

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Introduction
This report consists of photos from two visits within the space of a few weeks back in February. I had to return to get some externals of the buildings as it started chucking it down with rain and couldn't keep the drops off the lens. The purpose of this report isn't to cover each and every building in detail, but more to provide a decent update of the place with a primary focus on the accommodation blocks which make up the majority of the remaining site. Visited with @JakeV50.

Information & History
RAF Sculthorpe was constructed as a satellite airfield for the nearby West Raynham base. The other satellite airfield for West Raynham was RAF Great Massingham. The runway was 50% longer than the standard spec coming in at 2700 metres and was primarily built by Bovis Construction.

The site was built between 1942 and 1943 and the first squadrons to arrive at the base were 342. Later on No. 487 & 464 took up residence at the base with the twin-engine Lockheed Ventura aircraft. Later in the same year, 21 Squadron moved in creating the No. 140 Wing. This wing conducted over 100 missions and later moved to RAF Hunsdon. Another notable unit that operated at the base included No. 214 with the Boeing B-17 Flying Fortress amongst others. The site was also used to store the Airspeed Horsa gliders.

Later, in 1944, the airbase expanded into a heavy bomber base where the runway was lengthened and numerous new buildings were added including a fuel storage area. This expansion was in preparation for the B29 Super Fortresses but this never materialised as the war ended a year later in 1945. Once World War II ended, the base was used by the United States Air Force up until 1952 and was later returned to the UK’s Royal Air Force. This lasted until 1967 when USAF units began using the base again and acted as a standby airfield. USAF continued to use the base until 1992. There were also Cold War operations here around this time.

Much of the base stands derelict today. Quite a few of the buildings have been demolished including the Control Tower. The accommodation blocks and a few other buildings around the area have laid empty for years, but the main runway area is still used by the MoD for training purposes and is MoD property. There are also a number of industrial units dotted around the site but quite a few businesses have moved out as the landlord isn’t doing enough to tackle vandalism and anti-social behaviour at the site, and has also failed to pay electricity bills a number of times leaving businesses without power.

The Explore(s)
I try to visit Sculthorpe at least every two years as it is such a relaxed wander around and I always use it as a nice place to visit to test new camera equipment, new photo ideas etc. It has always been a chilled-out place and I have covered pretty much the entire site over the last nine years. It was also my first ever derelict site. The condition of the buildings remain pretty much unchanged, they can’t really get much worse than they are now! These two visits were fine and we managed to gain access to the site easily by car, as usual.

I usually like to include a couple of old noteworthy photos of places where I can, but there are so many for this one and lots of further information and pics can be found on the RAF Sculthorpe Heritage Centre website which is a great resource.

Onto the photos, starting with some externals I took primarily on my second visit this year. The majority of the accommodation consists of two-storey L-shaped blocks:

IMG_8552-HDR.jpg

IMG_8534-HDR.jpg

IMG_8509-HDR.jpg

IMG_8561-HDR.jpg

I've always liked the design of these blocks and are slightly different to the usual style seen at West Raynham and Upwood, and I love those burgandy lines as it is quite a retro feature:

IMG_8588-HDR.jpg

IMG_8576-HDR.jpg

IMG_8570-HDR.jpg

IMG_8546-HDR.jpg

The Truman Hall is the only three-storey block on the site and is probably my favourite of them all. I know these buildings are far from brutalist, but they do remind me of the dreariness of the Soviet-style tower blocks in Eastern Europe:

IMG_8630-HDR.jpg

IMG_8639-HDR.jpg

Truman Hall interior, this block is always good for corridor shots!

IMG_7039-HDR.jpg

IMG_7063-HDR.jpg

IMG_7051-HDR.jpg

IMG_7126-HDR.jpg

IMG_7138-HDR.jpg

And some shots inside the L-shaped blocks:

IMG_6862-HDR.jpg

IMG_6889-HDR.jpg

IMG_6931-HDR.jpg

IMG_6928-HDR.jpg

IMG_6937-HDR.jpg

IMG_6958-HDR.jpg

IMG_6964-HDR.jpg

IMG_6973-HDR.jpg

IMG_6997-HDR.jpg

And a selection of shots from other parts of the site to finish off:

IMG_7182-HDR.jpg

IMG_7186-HDR.jpg

IMG_7192-HDR.jpg

IMG_7195-HDR.jpg

Thanks for looking.

Wastelandr

Goes where the Buddleia grows
Regular User
Cool stuff, they might be a bit trashed but this site hits the spot for those post-apocalyptic wasteland vibes. When I went in 2021 two US Osprey aircraft landed at the airfield, looking like something from the future which only added to the dystopian feel

FB_IMG_1675205061068~2.jpg

Mikeymutt🐶

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Nice crisp shots mate. I have always liked the small accommodation blocks. I have a soft spot for this place as it was my first explore.

Mikeymutt🐶

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Cool stuff, they might be a bit trashed but this site hits the spot for those post-apocalyptic wasteland vibes. When I went in 2021 two US Osprey aircraft landed at the airfield, looking like something from the future which only added to the dystopian feel

About ten years ago I went up there to take some photos. Was making my way to the tower when I saw this broken down. I made a quick retreat. I have also seen hercs landing in the evening. These are just rubbish phone photos taken off my fb.

IMG_6511.jpeg

IMG_6510.jpeg

Wastelandr

Goes where the Buddleia grows
Regular User
About ten years ago I went up there to take some photos. Was making my way to the tower when I saw this broken down. I made a quick retreat. I have also seen hercs landing in the evening. These are just rubbish phone photos taken off my fb.

IMG_6511.jpeg

IMG_6510.jpeg
Definitely seems like a wise time to retreat! I suppose they just use it as some sort of relief landing ground

Mikeymutt🐶

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Definitely seems like a wise time to retreat! I suppose they just use it as some sort of relief landing ground
Its still an operational training ground over on that side of the fence. They have full on training operations throughout the year on there.

HughieD

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Good old Scully. Nearly got here over Xmas but ran out of time. Decent set of shots those...

Last edited:

dansgas1000

28DL Regular User
Regular User

Definitely mate, there is such a nice atmosphere here and that's why I love visiting every now and then. Great capture!

Nice crisp shots mate. I have always liked the small accommodation blocks. I have a soft spot for this place as it was my first explore.
Cheers mate, yeah I love the accommodation blocks here and I have a soft spot for it as well as it was mine too!

IMG_6511.jpeg

IMG_6510.jpeg
That's amazing!

Good old Scilly. Nearly got here over Xmas but ran out of time. Decent set of shots those...
Cheers mate. Ah that's a shame, definitely worth a wander round here when you next come to Norfolk.

AlternativeAdventuring

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Really love the photos and I do see completely what you mean about the Soviet style of the blocks!

I'd like to go here when I am in Norfolk next weekend but just trying to figure out the best road to drive down to get there land parking etc so hopefully if my brain can work it out I'll be able to get some great pics too:D

dansgas1000

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Really love the photos and I do see completely what you mean about the Soviet style of the blocks!

I'd like to go here when I am in Norfolk next weekend but just trying to figure out the best road to drive down to get there land parking etc so hopefully if my brain can work it out I'll be able to get some great pics too:D
Cheers! It's definetely worth a look. There are two options for parking really, you can either park near the nearby houses and then walk into the grounds, or you can go through the main business park entrance and park anywhere. They used to shut the gate at night and on weekends, but I'm pretty sure they don't now.

AlternativeAdventuring

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Cheers! It's definetely worth a look. There are two options for parking really, you can either park near the nearby houses and then walk into the grounds, or you can go through the main business park entrance and park anywhere. They used to shut the gate at night and on weekends, but I'm pretty sure they don't now.
Oh that's really helpful thank you I will have a look!