real time web analytics
Report - - RAF Sculthorpe (Vintage look)..Norfolk, September 2023 | Military Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - RAF Sculthorpe (Vintage look)..Norfolk, September 2023

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Mikeymutt🐶

28DL Regular User
Regular User
I see film has been making a massive come back, not just in this genre of photography but in every type. People are bored apparently of crisp clean digital images and like the look of film, that feel that digital does not give. I guess it’s the same with vinyl and how popular that is now, people like the crackers, the album covers, even just getting the record out of the sleeve and putting it on the deck and placing the needle on. People are just fed up with everything being easy and want to be challenged more. Anyway I like the look of film photography, never really done it apart from a point and shoot as a kid. So I remembered about eight years ago we had an old camera shop in Norwich. It was one of them old dingy little shops filled with stuff, it was great. The old bloke who owned it was a wealth of knowledge. I went in a few times and bought old broken cameras for display. He used to drag these old boxes out and start pulling out old cameras to look at. He use to sell them for about three to fifteen pounds. I remember him saying one still worked and I could not remember which one, but I had a feeling if it was one it would be the Olympus trip 35mm, that I paid a fiver for. Sadly I think the shop has now gone which is a shame. Anyway I dragged the Olympus out a little while back and cleaned it up, the basic functions of the camera worked. So off up to Wex I went, the main shop is based here were they started. And bought some Ilford 400 black and white film for a trial run to see if it works. I was debating were to go as I needed shots in good light. I thought Sculthorpe is a good bet, it’s big, plenty of externals, trashed but still photogenic. So up early with my film and digital camera I spent a good four hours here wandering the whole site. I have been about fifteen times here as it’s local and was my first explore back in spring 2013. It’s getting more and more trashed every visit, though I ain’t been for about three years. When I first went the old kids room you could still see the art work clearly on the walls. They have a heritage group up there which has grown and run by a very enthusiastic and knowledgable man. They are now moving the heritage centre next door into the old chapel. Back home after taking shots I wound my roll up and thought it had finished reeling and it had not. Opening the back I was dismayed to see it was not all in. Forgetting never open the back of a film, luckily it was in low light, slightly opened and quickly. I got them down snapppy snaps for development, not expecting anything I was surprised to find I got more than half back ok, a couple had ghosting in, but added them as well. I was excited and pleased to see the camera worked. Also realised that you save on black and white film buying, but costs far more to be developed ha ha. If anyone knows of a decent place to send film for development please say, as definitely got the bug. All photos are straight out of camera. Apart from two that needed a slight rotate.

Sculthorpe began life as a world war two satellite airfield. If you know how many world war two airfields worked you normally had one main airfield and two satellite ones. So in the case off Sculthorpe it was number three down the list to West Raynham, the second being RAF Great Massinghsm. The runway was laid out as a bomber airfield so the runway was built longer than your standard runways. Constructed by Bovis who did a lot of Norfolk airfield construction. The runway sat at 6,000 feet. It was used by several squadrons during the war. In 1949 America took on the base for the 20th fighter bomber wing. Then later on the 81st bomber wing. Both these had massive nuclear capability. The North American B-45 tornados were the jet bombers that would deliver this pay load if war ever broke out. Each plane was capable of dropping five tactical nuclear bombs. With the cold war fizzling out in the late eighties the site closed in 1992 and the technical and domestic sites sold off. The MOD retained the airfield side for training. The runway is used by American special forces in the evening's from Lakenheath and Mildenhall. It's quite an impressive site in a nice evening seeing the hercs landing there or dropping parachutes. Sculthorpe was quite a secretive airfield and think a lot of stuff went on there and landed there that was kept under the radar. CND protested at RAF Greenham common but if only they knew of what was stored here. My aunt met an airman at Sculthorpe in the 50s and married him and moved to America. I know during the Suez canal crisis all planes were fully loaded and on standby ready to go and called off at the last min.

The smaller accommodation blocks.

IMG_5717.jpeg

IMG_5716.jpeg

IMG_5721.jpeg

Looking over to the Truman block, this is a larger three storey block.

IMG_5720.jpeg

Main entry into the bar area of the recreation hall and dining hall. Is also some accommodation in here at the far end.

IMG_5718.jpeg

IMG_5719.jpeg

The baseball pitch situated a little way out from the accommodation block. You can still see the footprint of the court, with the cage here and a row of conifers in front of itin a curved line as a boundary. I also got in to the gym this time with swuash courts but just took them on my regular camera and lenses.

IMG_5722.jpeg

The guardhouse and gates to get on the airside part.

IMG_5723.jpeg

Another gate and guardhouse to get on the airfield part.

IMG_5724.jpeg

The operations and briefing block. The MOD were based in here as well.

IMG_5725.jpeg

IMG_5726.jpeg

Army and airforce exchange building..

IMG_5727.jpeg

Commisinary and exchange building.

IMG_5728.jpeg

The next batch were shot on my Fuji camera using vintage lenses. I used a Pentax Super Takuma 35mm lens and a Helios 58mm lens. On the Fuji you have what are known as film recipes, in which you adjust the grain, white balance, shadows, contrast etc and use it with the film simulations fuji have. They have literally dozens of recipes to choose from that replicate Kodak, Fuji, Polaroid etc. These one were shot on a recipe that replicated Kodak Porta 400. Again these shots are SOOC, and just a couple straightedge slightly.

IMG_9993.jpeg

Inside the the billeting, dining and rec hall.

IMG_9994.jpeg

IMG_9995.jpeg

IMG_9997.jpeg

IMG_9998.jpeg

IMG_9999.jpeg

IMG_0005.jpeg

Back to the the accommodation blocks.

IMG_0006.jpeg

IMG_0007.jpeg

Phone exchange in the briefing and operation block.

IMG_0014.jpeg

IMG_0015.jpeg

IMG_0017.jpeg

IMG_0020.jpeg

IMG_0021.jpeg

Operations room.

IMG_0030.jpeg

Back in the commissary and exchange block.

IMG_0035.jpeg

IMG_0036.jpeg

dansgas1000

28DL Regular User
Regular User
I didn't realise you used your film camera here, I thought you just did the Fuji recipes so that is a nice surprise. Those film photos are fantastic, to be honest, I think the ghosting adds effect. Sculthorpe is the perfect location for testing different camera gear and I always seem to end up here when doing so. Looking forward to seeing more film shots. Those vintage lenses on the Fuji are working a treat aswell, they look great.

Mikeymutt🐶

28DL Regular User
Regular User
I didn't realise you used your film camera here, I thought you just did the Fuji recipes so that is a nice surprise. Those film photos are fantastic, to be honest, I think the ghosting adds effect. Sculthorpe is the perfect location for testing different camera gear and I always seem to end up here when doing so. Looking forward to seeing more film shots. Those vintage lenses on the Fuji are working a treat aswell, they look great.
Cheers mate. Was pleased how they came out. Tbh I never even expected the camera to work. Yeah I never said as was not sure if I had ruined the film, shot them really badly, or as I said the camera did not work. It was a gamble really. Yeah going to try colour film next. And I enjoy shooting the vintage lenses, I have an almost new set up now with vintage and new prime lenses.

dansgas1000

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Cheers mate. Was pleased how they came out. Tbh I never even expected the camera to work. Yeah I never said as was not sure if I had ruined the film, shot them really badly, or as I said the camera did not work. It was a gamble really. Yeah going to try colour film next. And I enjoy shooting the vintage lenses, I have an almost new set up now with vintage and new prime lenses.
Yeah, they came out great for your first time doing film. As we have both said before it is not always about having pin-sharp digital shots with perfect dynamic range etc, I still find film more satisfying in most cases and the style suits derelict places really well. I would love to go through a roll of film at an old-school place like GB's or something.

Mikeymutt🐶

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Yeah, they came out great for your first time doing film. As we have both said before it is not always about having pin-sharp digital shots with perfect dynamic range etc, I still find film more satisfying in most cases and the style suits derelict places really well. I would love to go through a roll of film at an old-school place like GB's or something.
I think GBs would be one of the most perfect places for film. It’s already got that old feeling to it. Yeah definitely something satisfying about film and the excitement waiting to see what comes out.

Wastelandr

Goes where the Buddleia grows
Regular User
They've come out excellent! I've done the same several times where somethings gone a bit wrong inside and I've opened the camera up to check what's going on, forgetting not to expose the film. Did it with some b&w film and it looked similar with the slight ghosting, but I actually really like the effect.

I think we end up becoming such perfectionists with digital photography it's nice to just take a step back and experiment.

wormster

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Trip 35, bullet proof little numbers they are, and Ilford 400 is a very forgiving medium.

Loving the colour shots, I had no idea one could do that!!

Nice one

Mikeymutt🐶

28DL Regular User
Regular User
They've come out excellent! I've done the same several times where somethings gone a bit wrong inside and I've opened the camera up to check what's going on, forgetting not to expose the film. Did it with some b&w film and it looked similar with the slight ghosting, but I actually really like the effect.

I think we end up becoming such perfectionists with digital photography it's nice to just take a step back and experiment.
Cheers mate. Funnily enough when I did finally rewind it right back in I could hear it ha ha. So won't be making that mistake again. But I got more out than I expected. I quite like the ghosting as well.
Yeah I think with digital you can take so many shots and it just gets a bit tedious keep aiming for that perfect shot.

Mikeymutt🐶

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Trip 35, bullet proof little numbers they are, and Ilford 400 is a very forgiving medium.

Loving the colour shots, I had no idea one could do that!!

Nice one
Yeah I don't think I will bother going down the DSLR route and stick with the trip for what I want. I quite like the Ilford film. I am a total beginner though with this.

Yeah I was surprised with the colour ones. The recipes work well and I think Fuji is great for this. I think you can get similar in other brands. But no one does it like Fuji. They have built in Fuji stock film simulations, so you tweek them for what you want. Here is the page to show you.