real time web analytics
Report - - RAF Syerston Officer's mess, Notts, May16 | Military Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - RAF Syerston Officer's mess, Notts, May16

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

The Wombat

Mr Wombat
28DL Full Member
Have been meaning to look at this place for a few years, so finally got round to it this year. Photos taken from a couple of visits in March & April this year. It has been derelict a while, and the buildings are not in a great condition. Still, nice to tick this off the list.

Some History:

The officers’ mess which was built in 1940 for dining, drinking and accommodation.
The site was put into care and maintenance after operations at RAFSyerstonceased in 1970. The complex was then sold off by the Ministry of Defence and the Al-Jamia Al Islamia School opened in 1994. In 1997 Ofsted inspectors criticised hygiene, safety and teaching standards and the buildings themselves were starting to deteriorate. In the same year a roofer fell off the roof and broke his back. The school was judged to be culpable and the roofer obtained an order banning the sale of the buildings and the land until he was paid compensation. His claim was settled in January 2007 and the school shut later that year.

One of the school’s trustees, Mr Zaheer Rahman, stated their plan was to recoup money for the private investors from the UK Islamic community, who had previously given unsecured loans to the former trustees in order to try and keep the school open. The land was put up for sale and was due to be auctioned at a guide price of £250,000 but was then withdrawn as the trustees could not be sure how much land had been acquired via a compulsory purchase order to widen the A46. In 2009 a suspected arson attack badly damaged one of the wings. The buildings have been in a derelict state since then and have deteriorated further.

IMG_0183.jpg

IMG_0185.jpg

IMG_0186.jpg

And inside:

IMG_0604.jpg

IMG_0605.jpg

IMG_0606.jpg

IMG_0612.jpg

IMG_0614.jpg

IMG_0607.jpg

IMG_0618.jpg

thanks for looking

elhomer12

Maglite size T-rex, It's time for urbex!
28DL Full Member
I should really check this place out some time, I drive by several times per month but usually can't be bothered or don't have my gear