real time web analytics
Report - - RAF Uxbridge aug/sep 13 | Military Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - RAF Uxbridge aug/sep 13

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

monk

mature
28DL Full Member
A couple of visits with phuge walders riddlers & topcat

Good explore of a big old site, demo is underway, good laugh trying to avoid the builders if you visit on a work day :rolleyes:

unfortunately the first visit it was dark due to getting in late, and the 2nd my batteries died.... noob :banghead

History

RAF Uxbridge was a Royal Air Force (RAF) station in Uxbridge, within the London Borough of Hillingdon, occupying a 44.6-hectare (110-acre) site that originally belonged to the Hillingdon House estate. The British government purchased the estate in 1915, three years before the founding of the RAF. Until the outbreak of the Second World War in 1939, the station was open to the public.

The station is best known as the headquarters of No. 11 Group RAF, which was responsible for the aerial defence of London and the south-east of England during the Battle of Britain. Hillingdon House served as the group's headquarters. A bunker, subsequently known as the Battle of Britain Bunker, was built nearby to house the 11 Group Operations Room, which controlled fighter squadrons operating within the group. The Operations Room was also responsible for providing air support during the evacuation of Dunkirk in May 1940 (Operation Dynamo) and the D-Day landings (Operation Overlord). It was here that Winston Churchill first said, "Never was so much owed by so many to so few", which he repeated in a speech to Parliament four days later.

RAF Uxbridge closed on 31 March 2010 as part of a reduction in the number of Ministry of Defence properties in the Greater London area. Many of its remaining military units were relocated to nearby RAF Northolt the following day. Plans for redevelopment, consisting of a mixture of new residential and commercial properties and the retention of all listed buildings, were approved in January 2011.[1] A small part of the station incorporating the Battle of Britain Bunker retains the RAF Uxbridge name and is maintained by RAF Northolt.

some pics I did manage to get...

Walking dead :D
bps041_zps70b2f71f.jpg

uxbridge002_zps8ec15ae4.jpg

bps047_zps48bb3d0c.jpg

bps048_zps76a8335b.jpg

rifle range
uxbridge019_zps240a9a15.jpg

uxbridge007_zps457733c8.jpg

uxbridge031_zpse88447cb.jpg

uxbridge032_zpsd34e82bf.jpg

uxbridge033_zps28be3b0f.jpg

uxbridge011_zps6f4e425d.jpg

vampirate

28DL Member
28DL Member
just seen your report great work the blocks u photo'd buy the drill square was my old bunks room.. i remember being here while the rock apes where here... about 1998 their is an underground bunker out the back but the lake did u find it?

monk

mature
28DL Full Member
Didn't find it mate, we new there was one somewhere but couldn't have a real proper look as there was workman everywhere.

thegreentiger

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
I was stationed there. it was where we practised for the rout lining for the King and Queen of Siam. The first time the RAF had ever lined the rout down the Mall, I don't think they have ever done it since.

Ordnance

Stay Safe
Staff member
just seen your report great work the blocks u photo'd buy the drill square was my old bunks room.. i remember being here while the rock apes where here... about 1998 their is an underground bunker out the back but the lake did u find it?

A bunker, subsequently known as the Battle of Britain Bunker, was built nearby to house the 11 Group Operations Room, which controlled fighter squadrons operating within the group.

This is a preserved bunker and sealed up tight, but open to the public on selected dates by appointment only.

http://www.raf.mod.uk/battleofbritainbunker/