real time web analytics
Report - - Ram Jam Inn, Rutland, February 2019 | Other Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Ram Jam Inn, Rutland, February 2019

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

tarkovsky

SWC
Regular User
DSC_0057.jpg

Not a planned one, but stopped off here on the way up the A1 to break up a journey. Kind of disappointing, really, in that its history is a bit more interesting that the building itself.

History (copied from https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ram_Jam_Inn)

'The Ram Jam Inn was a pub on the A1 in Rutland, England between Stamford and Grantham. It was frequented by the highwayman Dick Turpin in the 18th century, and it is alleged that one of his confidence tricks inspired the pub's name.

The pub originally opened as a coaching inn called the Winchelsea Arms, but became known as the Ram Jam Inn by the early 19th century. Turpin was a temporary lodger at the inn, and resided here when he first found notoriety. He showed his landlady, Mrs Spring, how to draw mild and bitter ale from a single barrel, stating "ram one thumb in here whilst I make a hole ... now jam your other thumb in this hole while I find the forgotten spile pegs." Turpin subsequently disappeared without paying his bill, while Spring was trapped with two thumbs in the barrel. An alternative, similar, account is that an unnamed con-artist, not specifically named as Turpin, made the landlord fall for the trick so the trickster could try and seduce the landlady. A third tale is that by the 19th century "ram-jam" was a term that meant both eating to capacity and a place full of people.

Soul singer Geno Washington named his backing band the Ram Jam Band after the pub, as it was a popular place for the band to stop en route to gigs.

The novelist Margaret Drabble enjoyed staying at the inn, noting that the double glazing effectively masks the sound of traffic on the A1.

In August 2013 the pub was closed and put on the market for an estimated value of £550,000.'

Here's Geno and his band, probably celebrating after a few pints at their favourite A1 stop off point....

geno.jpg

Reviews on Trip Advisor, the most recent from 2012, suggest that “The Ram Jam Inn has gone to the dogs”. Sad times.

And in spite of the history, I’m sad to report that the interior is the kind of soulless...

Outside is alright, I guess..

IMG_3312.jpg

DSC_0073.jpg

IMG_3307.jpg

Close up of the pub sign featuring Turpin's antics...

DSC_0075.jpg

Round the back is... boring...

DSC_0082.jpg

Inside, then... Downstairs...

DSC_0032.jpg

DSC_0072.jpg

DSC_0031.jpg

DSC_0049.jpg

DSC_0041.jpg

DSC_0035.jpg

and upstairs...

DSC_0058.jpg

‘Margaret Drabble kicked off when she couldn't find any of her own books on the communal reading shelf...’

IMG_3293.jpg

IMG_3304.jpg

DSC_0064.jpg

IMG_3298.jpg

DSC_0063.jpg

IMG_3305.jpg

DSC_0066.jpg

And gone...

IMG_3287.jpg

Last edited: