real time web analytics
Report - - Redditch Railway Tunnel - April 2012 | Underground Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Redditch Railway Tunnel - April 2012

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

reddiurbex

28DL Member
28DL Member
Redditch Rail Tunnel History...

In 1858 work started on the branch line that was to run from Barnt Green via Alvechurch to Redditch. The Redditch Railway Company (later to be taken over by the Midland Railway) constructed the first four and a half miles of track linking Redditch to the main station at Barnt Green. On the 19th of September 1859, passenger services started running to Redditch, with freight services starting on the 1st of October.

The original line was (and still is to this day) a single track although the original bridges were capable of accommodating double track width. By the 1860's work began south of Redditch to connect the town with Alcester, Evesham and Ashchurch on the main Birmingham to Bristol line. In fact, the Barnt Green to Ashchurch line became known as the "Gloucester Loop" line.

The project to link Redditch to Ashchurch in the south was not officially completed until the 4th of May 1868. The delay was largely caused by the building of the tunnel underneath Mount Pleasant in Redditch. The tunnel alone took 18 months to complete, which at the time was a long time for the construction of a single track tunnel running for just 330 yards. The tunnel had to be over-engineered to some degree, owing to problems encountered with the sub-soil when the tunnelling work started.

Plans were reviewed at the time to run the track around the Mount Pleasant peak, but this would have meant re-locating the station away from the town centre. Commercial pressures meant that the building of the tunnel was going to be the only practical solution. To keep the costs down it was decided to keep the tunnel and the line south of Redditch as a single line track.

By 1963 the line south of Redditch was closed as a result of the "Beeching Axe" - as such services where often running at a loss, and the car was becoming increasingly popular. The tunnel had seen some 95 years service, but by 1965 the track was finally lifted and nature & building developments were allowed to take over.

Little do people realise that the Beeching Axe was originally going to cut the line off at Barnt Green, meaning Redditch would have no rail service at all. However as Redditch was designated a New Town in 1964, the freight terminal was going to prove to be invaluable as a means to transport the enormous amounts of building material and stone that the development of Redditch would require - at that time Redditch was just "the town on the hill" surrounded by farmland.

Here is a picture of the North Portal still in use taken in July 1955 (http://www.photobydjnorton.com/Stations/Redditch.html)

MountPleasant058_zps41672d6e.jpg

All the images below were taken in January 2012 with a second visit made in April 2012. Considering the tunnel itself is getting on for 146 years old, it's in pretty good shape. Camera : Fuji Finepix S5700. Lighting : LED Lenser P7 (x2), LED Lenser X21, Orsram Crosser Spotlight, Nightsearcher HT191 (x2)

South Portal

MountPleasant056_zps51cd8aad.jpg

MountPleasant050_zpsdbee4326.jpg

Main Tunnel

MountPleasant033_zps7736854c.jpg

MountPleasant008_zps64d32ba2.jpg

MountPleasant034_zps7caaf710.jpg

MountPleasant045_zpsa84210d3.jpg

MountPleasant039_zps2b7c7b0a.jpg

MountPleasant041_zpsa23e4dac.jpg

MountPleasant042_zps79b9f3fb.jpg

MountPleasant047_zps3a28a856.jpg

MountPleasant049_zpse28fca30.jpg

MountPleasant046_zpsacdc5990.jpg

North Portal (fitted in 1976 when the Midland Red Bus Park was built on top of the North Portal cutting - I also have some detailed pdf plans from 1975/76 of the construction of this end! Let me know if you would like to see these).

MountPleasant038_zps5411b4ae.jpg

MountPleasant012_zps0cde1e1d.jpg

MountPleasant013_zpsbc13f9c4.jpg

MountPleasant026_zps1e043030.jpg

MountPleasant024_zps97265f64.jpg

The other side of the inspection cover can be found in the First Midland Red bus depot (have to get there very early in the morning to see this)!

MountPleasant059_zpsd294010a.jpg

MountPleasant060_zpsf432ac05.jpg

Rest of the images can be viewed here : http://s1278.beta.photobucket.com/user/reddiurbex/library/Redditch Tunnel

Hope this 1st report was interesting. More to follow soon.

ReddiUrbex

Last edited:

mrbrowne93

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
i visited here when i was younger as its very local to me proabably about 10 years ago, and to my suprise it is still accessable as i took a friend their a couple of nights ago after trying to get into longbridge tunnels

Who has read this thread (Total: 150) View details