real time web analytics
Report - - Report - Campsie AAOR (Northern Ireland) - October 2023 | Military Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Report - Campsie AAOR (Northern Ireland) - October 2023

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

ddoherty958

28DL Member
28DL Member
THis is my first report froma visit I did a while ago,

History
Campsie AAOR is one of 31 AAORs (Anti Aircraft Operations Room) built across the UK and 1 of 2 in Northern Ireland, designed to be operational centres manned by a wide variety of Army staff, responsible for the command of Anti Aircraft defences in a region, Its chief role would be one of communication, interpreting radar data and delegating responses to airborne attacks (Mainly the command of Anti Aircraft Guns). Campsie AAOR is the most recently "discovered" of all 31, and is significant as while it was structually completed, no finishing was done before the ROTOR program was discontinued. The standardised design of the AAORs meant they folllowed a unified floorplan, which you can see on the link below.

Today Campsie AAOR sits unfinished and abandoned, a stone's throw away from a major road, but is not too widely known even in the local area due to its well hidden spot, set into a hill amongst trees. This means the interior is reasonably clean for an open structure, with only sheep's poo and stagnnt water to really pose any threat.

The Explore
A friend and I decided to visit as we'd heard about it from another friend. Approaching the structure and seeing it loom out of the hillside was like something out of a film, with the dark concrete stained with black and green. Inside was clean but cold, with the odd piece of agricultural rubbish strewen about. The channels for wiring in the floor were open, no doors or finishing touches had been added. Column supports for the upper balcony were strewen on the floor in the main planning room. THis room was so vast even with the camera flash I was unable to get a "proper" camera picture, so excuse the two (obvious) lesser quality images. We worked our way through, front to back, bottom to rop, checking out each and every room. There wasn't anything in particular of note, although being in the structure itself was extremely cool.

All the photos I took are on my Flickr album: Campsie AAOR

Campsie Fort-01.jpg

Campsie Fort-06.jpg

Campsie Fort-08.jpg

Campsie Fort-09.jpg

Campsie Fort-10.jpg

Campsie Fort-12.jpg

Campsie Fort-19.jpg

Campsie Fort-21.jpg

Campsie Fort-30.jpg

Campsie Fort-17.jpg

IMG_2794.JPEG

IMG_2792.JPEG

Krypton

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Good to see this place again, I visited it a few years back and although it’s got nothing interesting inside it’s just a huge concrete monstrosity (which I love) so it’s winner winner in my book