real time web analytics
Report - - RHM Foods Factory 'Cerebos Salt' Nov '08 | European and International Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - RHM Foods Factory 'Cerebos Salt' Nov '08

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Northern Exposure

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
This is a return visit for me as the last time I was here Wolfism and I ran out of usable light and missed the last 3rd or so of this immense factory.
If anyone is interested in seeing this place, get along there now as the demo team are in there and the place is undergoing a strip prior to demolition.

Xm and I had to sneak past a security caravan (Probably empty TBH and used as a bait wagon) to get to the entry point. Things have changed notably in the short time since I was last here and can see the place being largely flattened by Christmas.

Greatham Salt Factory was founded back in the 1874 after a 65ft salt seam was found by mistake while Bolckow Vaughan & Co were drilling for water.
The Factory later was bought by Cerebos Salt in 1903 and after the final deposits were extracted by brine well irrigation, the site changed hands and was operated by Sharwoods of the 'burn yer ass off' fame.

My previous report concentrated on the workshops as, at the time, were in pristine condition, with only cobwebs as any major damage. I was slightly disappointed to see the place turned over and ripe for clearance.

Instead I thought I'd concentrate on the bits I hadn't seen.

Engineering canteen and locker room

DSC_0020.jpg

DSC_0021.jpg

Workshops

DSC_0017.jpg

DSC_0016.jpg

One of the many conveyor belts around the factory

DSC_0022.jpg

Two rows of pressurised vats. For boiling the salt to purify it?

DSC_0023.jpg

Nicely painted corridor

DSC_0031.jpg

One of two wood panel rooms

DSC_0032.jpg

'Enquiries' and trophy cabinet to the left

DSC_0033.jpg

Staff shop

DSC_0035.jpg

Staff canteen and kitchen (Trashed since last visit)

DSC_0037.jpg

This room is mental. The size of a tennis court and used as a hooooge freezer!

DSC_0041.jpg

Upper floor storage areas

DSC_0047_640.jpg

DSC_0040.jpg

DSC_0049.jpg

DSC_0055.jpg

Man-walkway across the pipe bridge for the conveyor

DSC_0062.jpg

Finally the two Wallsend pumps that fed and extracted the brine from a depth of 1127ft

DSC_0067.jpg

DSC_0070.jpg

It's a very good site to get in, wander around and just get a feel for the place.

Last edited: