real time web analytics
Report - - Richborough Power Station Sandwich-Kent 27.01.08. | Industrial Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Richborough Power Station Sandwich-Kent 27.01.08.

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

S

SuZyQue

This started out as a drive to a garden centre;) but with a bit of persuasion on my part and a detour on the way back[never one to miss a exploring opportunity] ended up down a muddy lane looking up at Richborough power station. Been wanting to see this place for ages and never got round to it, and it didn't disappoint us. These towers are awesome up close, after a 2 mile walk through mud and water and trying not to fall in the dyke that surrounds some of it we made it in.

Heres some history:

It started generating in 1962 as a coal fired station, converting to oil in 1971. In 1990 the plant started to fire orimulsion - watered down bitumen from Venezuela, a product heavily endorsed by the Venezuelan government. It turned out to be a environmental disaster, so the plant closed in the mid 90's.

Heres some pics.

Took this from the car on the way there.

richboroughpowerstation-27-01-08001.jpg

Finally they come into view after it seemed like we were walking forever.

richboroughpowerstation-27-01-08003.jpg

Looking up, they are awesome.

richboroughpowerstation-27-01-08004.jpg

Tried to get closer, it was full of water and possibly could do with a dingy, I so nearly paddled over to a concrete island, but thought better of it.

richboroughpowerstation-27-01-08005.jpg

richboroughpowerstation-27-01-08006.jpg

Some sort of control room, not sure for what.

richboroughpowerstation-27-01-08010.jpg

richboroughpowerstation-27-01-08012.jpg

richboroughpowerstation-27-01-08013.jpg

richboroughpowerstation-27-01-08014.jpg

The helicopter they use for paintballing.

richboroughpowerstation-27-01-08015.jpg

Pic of the controls in the helicopter, at this point mmy battery died.

richboroughpowerstation-27-01-08016.jpg

Big thanks to my mate for driving and nearly getting as muddy and wet as me, got to get back to this place, enjoy the pics.

Who has read this thread (Total: 7) View details