Web
Analytics
Report - - Ridge Quarry, November 2009 | Mines and Quarries | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Ridge Quarry, November 2009



Oxygen Thief

Admin
Staff member
Admin
#1
Explored with Urban Junkie, Shadow, Raptor Jesus, Rigsby and Styru.

The Ridge was used during the Great War for TNT and cordite storage and vacated in 1922.

Changing little between the wars, Ridge was requisitioned by the War Office in 1934 and brought into commission in 1936. Although earmarked as part of CAD Corsham, it was used by the RAF.

The RAF left Ridge Quarry in 1955 and the Army kept a presence there until 1964 after which the site reverted to care and maintenance under the Ministry of Works and Building.

Ridge Quarry was repurchased by the Neston Estate in 1975.
We've been here before, but this time we wanted to see a bit more.

One of the slope shafts...

DSC_0050.jpg


DSC_0051.jpg


The winch house and signs of the old haulage system trackway...

DSC_0057.jpg


EXIT sign...

DSC_0058.jpg


Some old graffiti...

DSC_0059.jpg


DSC_0067.jpg


DSC_0068.jpg


Call that a pillar ? Now that's a pillar...

DSC_0060.jpg


More strengthening work...

DSC_0061.jpg


DSC_0062.jpg


DSC_0070.jpg


This commenced in 1938 but was never completed...

DSC_0071.jpg


Old signage...

DSC_0075.jpg


The old workings...

DSC_0077.jpg


The mine is worked on two levels, here's a couple of pictures of the incline between the two levels...

DSC_0079.jpg


DSC_0080.jpg


Some old lengths of railway track...

DSC_0082.jpg
 

Attachments

Similar threads