real time web analytics
Report - - Rio Tinto Alcan Aluminium Smelter, Lynemouth - Feb 13'. | Industrial Sites | Page 2 | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Rio Tinto Alcan Aluminium Smelter, Lynemouth - Feb 13'.

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Speed

Got Epic Slow?
Regular User
Spot on guys, a really good report too. Glad it has been recorded so well!

Brick_Man

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Just great, I've jizzed at least 4x during those photos, probably caused enough damage to myself that I'm going to have to see the doctor now....

BTW howser, that first external is perfect, I used to ha e an uncle who was a foreman on a few of the open casts and my early memories of the area were of huge power lines and coal conveyors everywhere, oh and huge sodium lighting towers lighting up the surrounding fields, that photo IS what that area used to all be like.

Boba Low

SWC ___/
28DL Full Member
Think you mean Tweek's external, Brickers, but yeah. The lights from the power station at least a mile away were incredible, they cast our shadows ridiculously far as we were crossing boggy fields, it was ridiculous. Combine it with fog and it just gives the whole area the distinct whiff of epic.

Thanks everyone, it's a unique site and we won't see the likes of it in this country again.

nascarrules

28DL Member
28DL Member
I served my apprenticeship at Alcan as an electrician and worked in Carbon Plant maintenance until i was made redundant last year.
Its amazing yet horrible at the same time to see what has happened to the place, were there many pot canopies left, in the potrooms? It seems theres just the risers, belly flexis, busbars and flexis left in most of the pictures.
Line current in the potrooms was 190,000 Amps at 800 V Dc, not the 150,000 you quoted although line current was originally 145,000 Amps when the plant opened. I remember working on potroom cranes as an apprentice for days on end with temperatures regularly topping 55-60 celsius.
The picture you posted of a conveyor in the Green Mix was incorrect it looks to me like it was in the Glamma, the section of plant between the carbon plant and the potrooms, where used anodes were exchanged for new anodes.
Do you have any pictures of the carbon plant? of the chains? or any machines?
Any questions about the place feel free to ask.