real time web analytics
Report - - Rio Tinto Alcan Aluminium Smelter, Lynemouth - Feb 13'. | Industrial Sites | Page 3 | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Rio Tinto Alcan Aluminium Smelter, Lynemouth - Feb 13'.

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Boba Low

SWC ___/
28DL Full Member
Is anyone else actually going to go do this?! It's the best thing to come up in fucking ages, big industry-wise, and well worth any drive or risk undertaken to actually explore the place. It's going to be gone forever in a few months and there's still a massive casting house to explore that will be full of epic, come on you lot!

Horus

Butt Wipe
28DL Full Member
Myself and AJ have been back twice, a report will be done at some point, we did find some new stuff that wasn't covered I think.

Boba Low

SWC ___/
28DL Full Member
Obviously not aimed at you two, more like everyone who doesn't realise you sometimes have to put a little effort in to reap the big rewards! People seem willing to drive stupid distances for places like the bull manor... It just doesn't make sense to me!

AJ

AJ
28DL Full Member
Is anyone else actually going to go do this?! It's the best thing to come up in fucking ages, big industry-wise, and well worth any drive or risk undertaken to actually explore the place. It's going to be gone forever in a few months and there's still a massive casting house to explore that will be full of epic, come on you lot!

I was saying the same thing to Hooorus after we'd completed our fourth visit and we were on our way back to the car. Still to cover are the casting house and transformers. Oh, and not forgetting the security hut if you're feeling adventurous!

I'm not expecting many of the locals to visit as it's got a palisade perimeter fence, IR CCTV and active security, but I thought some of the more seasoned members from around the country would have visited by now. Thankfully most of the site has been covered and I'll post my photographs in the near future.

For those interested in visiting, the site is in good condition, the power is still on and only the pot lines are currently under demolition (internally with contamination control).

Last edited:

drhowser

Bespectacled & irrelevant
Regular User
I've been speaking to another former worker, he was of the opinion that the switch gear and transformers would be likely to cause a significant response :D
The casting house on the other hand, needs looking at!

tweek

SNC/SWC
Regular User
To be honest, massive industry and nationally unique sites don't really interest me... but this looks alright. Fab pics :thumb

Thunder

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Might as well go balls out and have a walk over sometime soon. Have a feeling I know a way to slip past all concerned bodies and hopefully take a few snaps.

nascarrules

28DL Member
28DL Member
Just been speaking to some ex colleagues of mine who still work at the Smelter on the decommissioning team and they are saying that the demolition of the Carbon Plant (where i worked as an electrician) is due to commence very soon (within a month apparently). So if you want to see this you'll have to be very quick. :sad