real time web analytics
Report - - RMS Titanic Shipyard, Belfast 14/06/08 | Industrial Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - RMS Titanic Shipyard, Belfast 14/06/08

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Rookinella

I should have danced all night
28DL Full Member
Visited with Irishmanlost and BillAnd.

Ok, so that's not the "official" name for this shipyard but I guess this is what it's most famous for. It smelt like all good docks should smell like, i.e. fish and poo. It was where the famous ship was built by the equally famous shipbuilders, Harland & Wolf. Her sister ship, 'The Olympic' was also built here. At the moment, there's not a great deal to see there because they are in the middle of building a tourist attraction devoted to the ship due to open in 2012 with funding from the National Lottery. Unfortunately we couldn't get into the paintshop because it is being used for filming so afterwards, we took a wander down the docks to see the Harland & Wolf cranes close up (report coming later).

Here's a bit of history about the construction of The Titanic (again, not written by me but big thanks to Mr. Wikipedia who can put it into a more comprehensible paragraph than I ever could)

"The Titanic was a White Star Line ocean liner, built at the Harland and Wolff shipyard in Belfast, Ireland, designed to compete with rival company Cunard Line's Lusitania and Mauretania. The Titanic, along with her Olympic-class sisters, the Olympic and the soon to be built Britannic (originally named Gigantic), were intended to be the largest, most luxurious ships ever to operate. Construction of the RMS Titanic, funded by the American J.P. Morgan and his International Mercantile Marine Co., began on 31 March 1909. Titanic's hull was launched on 31 May 1911, and her outfitting was completed by 31 March the following year. Titanic was 882 ft 9 in (269 m) long and 92 ft 6 in (28 m) wide, had a gross register tonnage of 46,328 tons, and a height from the water line to the boat deck of 60 ft (18 m). Titanic contained two reciprocating four-cylinder, triple expansion, inverted steam engines and one low pressure Parsons turbine which powered three propellers. There were 29 boilers fired by 159 coal burning furnaces that made possible a top speed of 23 knots (43 km/h). Only three of the four 63 feet (19 m) tall funnels were functional; the fourth funnel, which only served as a vent, was added to make the ship look more impressive. The ship could hold a total of 3,547 passengers and crew and, because she carried mail, her name was given the prefix RMS (Royal Mail Steamer) as well as SS (Steam Ship). There were insufficient lifeboats on the Titanic for all passengers, though the legal requirements of the day were met."

DSC_0274-600.jpg

DSC_0272-600.jpg

DSC_0270-600.jpg

DSC_0267-600.jpg

DSC_0266copy-600.jpg

DSC_0262-600.jpg

Steps down into the dry dock..or a slide if you're feeling brave
DSC_0256-600.jpg

DSC_0254-600.jpg

Apparently The Titanic was never actually stored in this bit because it would have been far too small. The Titanic would have been 5 times the length of this.
DSC_0255copy-600.jpg

One of the Harland & Wolf giants can be seen in the background here
DSC_0253-600.jpg

One of the cranes looks like it's trying to shoot a bird:p
DSC_0250copy-600.jpg

A peek into the building they are converting
DSC_0248copy-600.jpg

DSC_0246-600.jpg

BillAnd

Badass dare devil gangsta
28DL Full Member
Re: RMS Titanic Shipyard, Belfast 14/06/08 REPORT

Nice one, looking forward to your report on the cranes. How cool would it be if they opened Samson & Goliath for visits to the top.

they do - but I'll do a bit of research and find out how and when !

Unfortunately - I was utilising my skills as guide and pack horse, and unable to take many shots !

IMGP5775tn.jpg

detail on the pump house

IMGP5778tn.jpg

IMGP5792tn.jpg

graffiti humour

IMGP5785tn.jpg

old shipyard work gates - being collected for part of the planned rebuild no doubt

Last edited: