real time web analytics
Report - - Robert Cains Brewery, Liverpool - December 2023 | Industrial Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Robert Cains Brewery, Liverpool - December 2023

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

GRONK

Useful Idiot
Regular User
December 2023

The Visit
Completely by chance, I stumbled upon an entrance to this place while out with Mrs. Gronk on a night out. We usually go to 'Brewery Village', which now occupies most of the brewery's ground floor. It's interesting to mention that Cains, a popular UE haunt in 2014/15, was a place I tried my luck at back then, but with no success. Since then, a part of the site has been transformed into a delightful mix of food, drinks, and leisure activities, all paying tribute to the legacy of Cain's and the beautiful red brick building it called home.

In a slightly tipsy state a few weeks ago, I accidentally found myself inside the depths of the complex after stumbling through a door that said "staff only". Unfortunately, I wasn't in the best shape to thoroughly explore, so I quickly took a few photos with my phone and rejoined my partner to continue our night. A few days later, armed with my camera and a sense of adventure, I returned on my own to fully immerse myself in the structure. I had complete access to the upper floors of the Brewery, with music filling every room from the lively bars below. For a good couple of hours, I wandered through the building, determined to explore every corner and leave no room unvisited.

And of course, I couldn't not partake in a pint or two in the Brewery Tap afterwards. :rolleyes:

GRONK_Cains18.jpg

[0] - The brewery seen from Parliament Street.​

The History
Cains Brewery, established in 1850 by Robert Cain, an Irishman, came into existence when he acquired another well-established brewery in the vicinity. At the young age of 24, Cain embarked on his brewing journey by purchasing a pub and crafting his own ales. With a fervour for employing cutting-edge techniques and state-of-the-art equipment, Cain swiftly rose to become one of Liverpool's most prosperous entrepreneurs. Throughout his lifetime, he expanded the brewery multiple times, notably in 1887 and between 1900 and 1902, when the iconic redbrick section of the brewery was erected. By the time Cain passed away on July 19, 1907, he had amassed immense wealth, ranking among the wealthiest individuals in the United Kingdom.

During its zenith, Robert Cain and Sons, the company, owned a staggering number of 200 pubs in Liverpool. However, its true distinction lies in the creation of some of the most opulent and extravagant pubs in all of Britain. Cain's personal mansion boasted windows adorned with his monogram on each arch. In 1887, construction commenced on a second brewery, further solidifying the legacy of the Cains brand. In 1921, 14 years after Cain's demise, the Cains brewery merged with Walkers of Warrington, forming Walker Cains. Subsequently, in 1923, the original Stanhope Street Brewery was sold to Higsons, who continued brewing Cains ales on the premises. In 1985, Boddingtons of Manchester acquired Higsons. However, a few years later, Boddingtons made the decision to focus solely on pub ownership and consequently sold all its breweries to Whitbread. This marked the closure of the Stanhope Street site. The modern canning lines at the brewery were a significant investment under Boddingtons' ownership, making it an attractive asset. However, it was later acquired by the previous owners of Gee Bee Soft Drinks, who then sold it to Princes. The new owners rebranded the business as Robert Cain but primarily focused on producing for supermarkets.

Cains-Beer-Brewery-Robert-Cain-history.jpeg

The Stanhope Street site in the early 1910s​

Faxe Bryggeri A/S (now Royal Unibrew) saw Cains as an opportunity to enter the UK market and invested in their ales and local pubs. Unfortunately, unlike Carlsberg, Faxe couldn't make a breakthrough in the UK market and decided to sell Cains in 2002. Following this the Dusanj brothers became the first Asian owners of a British brewery when they acquired Cains. At the time, the brewery had a turnover of £30 million. However, under their leadership, it took only ten years for the company to go into administration with debts amounting to a staggering £38 million, averaging a loss of over £3.5 million per year. In 2007, the company's board agreed to a reverse takeover by AIM-listed pub operator Honeycombe Leisure plc. This gave Cains access to Honeycombe's 109 outlets and a stock market listing. The company was then renamed Cains Beer Company PLC. Unfortunately, like Cains Brewery, it faced insurmountable debts and ceased to function within a year.

In 2008, the company faced a financial crisis and was forced into administration due to unpaid taxes and debts totalling £38 million. This was despite the fact that the company had a yearly turnover of £65.5 million. Despite negotiations with the bank, no agreement could be reached to avoid administration. However, the Dusanj brothers stepped in and bought back the brewery and eight original pubs for a mere £103,750. Since the Dusanji family owned the brewery site and had control over the lease terms, no other buyer could be found.

By 2013, the company made the decision to stop contract brewing and producing supermarket beers. Eventually, they completely ceased brewing operations and instead found a contract brewer to produce their own beers. Unfortunately, this led to 38 staff members losing their jobs. At this point, Cains was left with only three pubs - the Brewery Tap, Dr Duncan's, and The Dispensary. However, by 2015, they managed to expand their estate to five pubs, with the addition of Kelly's Dispensary in Smithdown Road and The Edinburgh in Wavertree.

history_04.jpg

The main entrance to the Brewery.​

In 2013, Cains embarked on a redevelopment project for the site, aiming to create a space for leisure activities and housing. They also planned to establish a small craft brewery to continue producing their ales. The following year, they arranged for a limited quantity of their beers to be contract-brewed for export and sale in their pub estate. Additionally, Liverpool City Council granted planning permission for the development known as the Cains Brewery Village. This ambitious project was intended to be a tourism, leisure, and retail attraction, featuring a hotel, cinema, bistro bar, restaurants, and a retail hall for artisan food producers. However, as of 2023, only parts of this proposal have been realised, with the hotel section remaining vacant and in a state of decay.

In 2017, a food hall opened on the site, operated by Baltic Markets. It offered a variety of food, drinks, live entertainment, and events, and was open four times a week. Then, in the spring of 2022, brewing activities resumed at the site, using the original recipes that made Cains famous. Then in January 2023, a £3.5 million 'BOXPARK' food hall and events space received the green light with planning permission. This exciting development aims to revitalise the existing food and drink hall, bringing a fresh wave of energy to the iconic Liverpool building. With ten kitchen units, three internal bars, exterior bars, and a charming garden for al fresco dining, this new facility promises to be a vibrant hub for culinary delights and social gatherings. Unlike many breweries that have sadly disappeared from the bar scene across the country, the future shines brightly for this remarkable establishment.

GRONK_Cains7.jpg

[1]

GRONK_Cains13.jpg

[2]

GRONK_Cains16.jpg

[3]

GRONK_Cains17.jpg

[4]

GRONK_Cains12.jpg

[5]

GRONK_Cains2.jpg

[6] - Fermenting Room 1

GRONK_Cains15.jpg

[7] - Entertaining and Function Room

GRONK_Cains8.jpg

[8]

GRONK_Cains9.jpg

[9]

GRONK_Cains14.jpg

[10]

GRONK_Cains6.jpg

[11] - Courtyard/ Stables Clock

GRONK_Cains1.jpg

[12] - Obligatory Chair Shot

GRONK_Cains10.jpg

[13] - Inside of the tower.

GRONK_Cains11.jpg

[14]

GRONK_Cains3.jpg

[15]

GRONK_Cains4.jpg

[16] - Looking East towards Liverpool

GRONK_Cains5.jpg

[17] - Looking South

GRONK_Cains181.jpg

[18] - Top of the tower.​

In 2022, St Helens business Mikhail Hotels & Leisure Group who operate the Brewery Village revived the brand as a brewer following an announcement in April, we would once again see this iconic brand returned branded as 'Liverpool in a pint', visitors to the village would be able to see brewing in action through large glass windows from one of the bars onsite.

Mikhail, who operate Irish bar Punch Tarmeys, The Brewery Tap and ArCains in the Baltic, promised multi-million pound investment that would see the new facility spread across three floors, creating 40 jobs with the first brews hitting pubs in June that same year.

However, production came to a halt in March 2024 month due to a royalty dispute with the brand owner, legal teams are working on a dispute over a royalty clause, believed to be in relation to volumes of beer production. As a result, two of the company’s three brewers have been let go.

A Mikhail spokesperson is quoted as saying: “We have stopped brewing, and the reason is because there is a royalty agreement in place.” It isn’t currently known if or when brewing will commence again on the site.

Cheers for looking :thumb
Fuji XT-2, 10-24mm​

Last edited:

dweeb

28DL Regular User
Regular User
I do fancy going back for some beers there at some point. If it'll top a free bottle of Cains on the roof remains to be seen...

Nice to see the place again

Who has read this thread (Total: 216) View details