real time web analytics
Report - - Robert Cains Brewery - Liverpool - June 2015 | Industrial Sites | Page 2 | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Robert Cains Brewery - Liverpool - June 2015

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Speed

Got Epic Slow?
Regular User
Aye. Quite a common thing to find under a Brewery! Thanks for the extra photos tho.

Ojay

Admin
Staff member
Admin
Interestingly enough, the now demolished Boddingtons Brewery had it's own artesian well

Speed

Got Epic Slow?
Regular User
I like the idea of climbing down a well in a derelict Brewery and popping out in there.. A chance missed

oomska

28DL Member
28DL Member
It's not an underground reservoir, it's an artesian well!

Well, you are correct of sorts, but in 1984 when I worked there, Higsons were pumping up many thousands of litres water from the underground lake which they called Liquor to use in the brewing process, this gave Higsons ales a unique taste as the Liquor used contained dissolved minerals from the local Limestone.
Also many other factories were using well water for their own processes which caused the water table to drop to a level where an underground cavern appeared under the brewery, I was told at the time it was so big the employees could take a boat ride on it, many inscriptions around the walls could be noted from as early as the 1800s.
Sadly as many factories have now pulled out of Liverpool and stopped using this natural resource the water table has risen and flooded the cavern. Ufortunately I never ventured further than the third ladder at the time as I was only 18 and got "the fear".
The picture of the well is an older well that predated the one with the pumping equiptment over it.

Speed

Got Epic Slow?
Regular User
That's basically what an artesian well is, an underground lake of sorts, although not quite as big as you may imagine from that description easily big enough for a boat. They are quite common expecially below breweries which always make the same sort of claims about the water giving a specific taste to thier beer. There are/were examples at Gales, Kimberley, Tolly Cobbold, virtually all old tower breweries.

stranton

subterranean explorer
Regular User
Which ones the Curzon? i lose track theres so many!

Oh and no i didn't see nay secret reservoirs unfortunately, nice boiler house in the basement we couldn't photograph without a tripod tho.

its the cinema at Old Swan, Liverpool

Speed

Got Epic Slow?
Regular User
Mmm no didn't check that this time. I was under the impression Host got in and it was empty

Ojay

Admin
Staff member
Admin
From this

18408550820_acc1c9a3a5_c-jpg.jpg

To This :D

Had a distinct taste for an 11 year old Ale ;)

IMG_7485.JPG