real time web analytics
Report - - Robert Fletcher's Social Club - Greenfield - April 2019 | Industrial Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Robert Fletcher's Social Club - Greenfield - April 2019

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

The Lone Ranger

Safety is paramount!
Staff member
Robert Fletcher's Social Club - Greenfield

I thought I'd seen the whole of Robert Fletchers Paper Mill and out buildings over the years, was great to see the Social Club appear. This wasn't the first time I've been in here; I've lived in the area for 30 odd years and have been to a few birthday parties, I'm sure I've dropped my kids off here when they were small for parties and ballet classes before it closed. The birthday parties must have been good as I forgot it was here or still under the assumption it was in use.

f15.jpg

History

I've just copy and pasted xox's history as it's nice and condensed and covers it nicely :thumb

"Robert Fletcher Social club built in 1937 integral part of the Mill and the area for many years comprising of snooker table, Tennis Court and a bowling green and was still in use up till the 2000 where regular plays and a dance school performed, Before it went into receivership, it was the sole manufacturer of cigarette paper and the water from the hills was essential to that process. Even before Dove Stone reservoir was built water was collected by a series of pipes from the Chew Valley area.

The mill has been stationed here for over 200 years with Robert Flecher & Son commencing the business of cigarette paper manufacturing in 1921. At its height, it employed 1000 people to run seven paper machines.

By 1986 the company was making a loss and was purchased by the Melton Medes Conglomerate who turned the company around and started to make a profit once again. However by 2001 the company was once again failing and the decision was made to close the other mill it owned, Stoneclough Mill. Some people were transferred to the Greenfield mill, but the company could not sustain the increasing losses and it was forced into receivership".

All I'll add is many of my friends parents, my neighbours and people I know did work at Fletchers Paper Mill, they all talk fondly of the many social events which went on at the club each year.

My Visit

One of these places I wanted to see, so went for a nice stroll. Once inside the hall seemed a bit smaller than I remembered, but apart from a lack of a few floor boards not too much had changed.

f2.jpg

I'd just taken this photo when a figure appeared at the other side of the internal glass door and tried to push it open, I'd been in 5 minutes! First thought was to bail, all the times I've visited Fletchers I've not been caught; however a quick exit this time was not possible. I stood there waiting to greet a security guard, thankfully once the door opened the person on the other side was just a surprised to see me. Turned out to be @oXo after a quick change of pleasantries we were on our way taking out own photos, got a second surprise when I then bumped into his mate!

Was good to see the banners still in place possibly from the last New Year's do here?

f1.jpg

Considering how long it's been empty, apart from the missing floor this graffiti was about the only other signs of other folk being in.

f11.jpg

The stage was still in full working order so the graffiti was easy enough to resolve, the recital of Goodby Yellow Brick Road left a lot to be desired.

f19.jpg

The bar was as I remembered, just a little short of stock.

f16.jpg

Pool table was still looking good, played on worse in open pubs.

f3.jpg

Was some interesting stuff off the entrance corridor as well as the classic Fletchers green doors.

f4.jpg

f17.jpg

f5.jpg

f8.jpg

Behind the stage there were some nice artefacts, equipment and stage props, etc.

f13.jpg

f12.jpg

That's more or less it as it's been covered well in the previous reports, not often there's enough balls to do this though.

21.jpg

Glad I managed to get to see this, the parties must have been good as I don't remember too much about them, but did remember the inside of the club.

Cheers,

TLR​

The Lone Ranger

Safety is paramount!
Staff member
This little bit of Fletcher's is pretty cool, liking this.

Just when I though I'd seen it all, I'll have to have a proper dig around the village as Fletchers did own a fair bit away from the mill, most were residential housing which is still in use.

tumbles

Drama Queen
Staff member
Sad really... I bet some good times were had in there. When big firms looked after their staff!

Reading the company handbook they really did (before the opertunist wankers who ran off with the pension pot had taken over) - even down to being able to buy small amounts of paper for rollies!

Great set of pics TLR, I haven't been to Fletchers for over 10 years but now want to go again!

albino-jay

g00n Buster
Staff member
Nicely done TLR, great pics. good to see some more from here.

Sad really... I bet some good times were had in there. When big firms looked after their staff!

Aint that the sad truth :( I hear so many awesome stories of works do's from the older lads back in the 70\80\90s and now absolutely bugger all.

Calamity Jane

i see beauty in the unloved, places & things
Regular User
Nice set. Personal favorite 4th from last. Strangely I find this shot very beautiful yet sad.